Repurposed Rainbow Gallery Wall

$3

Every time I visit a charity/thrift shop always in the corner somewhere is a pile of old photo frames. Often they contain photos of old dogs or embroidery samples. Mostly, though these frames are pretty ugly and dated. Well last time I visited my local junk shop I managed to pick up a pile of the frames for almost nothing. It cost me about £2 ($3) for dozen frames. I wanted to use the frames to create a fabulous gallery wall of these amazing colourful vintage bird prints (see here).

These are some of the frames I got.

I gathered the mishmash of old paints and paint samples I had lying in my shed. Chalky paints are best for this if you have them as you don't need to prime the frames first.

Next, I removed the photos and glass from each framed and painted them in an array of colours.

Once the paint had dried I measured the width and height of each frame.

I then printed a bird picture (link at end) to fit each frame. Not only did I fit the bird to each frame I tried to match the colours too. So for a red frame I printed a bird with red in it and so on.

I printed the bird prints onto ivory coloured paper for a more vintage look.

Once all the frames were filled. I lay them out on the ground to see how they looked.

I had a large old picture frame which I painted white. I decided to create my gallery wall in this frame so that it was easy to move around when I wanted to change wall displays.

If you don't have a large frame you can just hang the pictures straight onto the wall.

I just used double sided mounting tape to hang the frames.

I love this so much I'm on the hunt for more frames to make one using these gorgeous free vintage flower illustrations (see here).

3 Great Projects To Flip Your Cookie Sheet Pans
18 Beautiful Crafts For The 4th of July
Copy One Of These Lovely Lattice Ideas For Your Home
18 Wintery Wreath Ideas That You'll Want To Make For Your Home
Check Out These 15 Beautiful Flower Ideas For Spring
Hometalk's Top 20 DIY Crafts For Kids
16 Fun Ways You Can Use Food To Decorate Your Home
3 Easy Ways to Make The Cutest Coasters for Your House
Everything Red For Canada Day
31 Ways To Get Privacy Inside And Outside Your Home
31 Ways For You To Style Your Garden
Claire Armstrong

• Ellen

What did you use to back the big old frame? Cardboard? Luan wood?

• Claire Armstrong

It was some backing board from my local art shop. I think it is thick cardboard.