How to Stencil Your Floor

$120

Just because you're not in love with your floor, doesn't mean you have to just live with it. Especially if the floor is still in great condition. Instead, you can paint and stencil a new design to breathe new life into your space.

Stenciling the floor was not only so easy, it made a huge impact.

Tile floor before.

First step is to completely clear out the room, fix any noticeable damage, and clean the floor really well.

Paint the floor with bonding primer to adhere the paint to the tile. After the proper dry time, paint with the base color of your choice in Valspar Porch and Floor paint.

After allowing the floors to fully dry, pick a color to compliment the space. Using a foam roller, go over the stencil being careful not to push the paint and cause bleeding.

Here's another project and more unclose pictures for stenciling.

For the edges where there is a partial tile, wait until you have stenciled the entire floor. Then you can either cut the stencil or simply fold it to get into those spaces.

Once the stencil is done and fully dried, follow up with a clear polycrylic in a matte finish. For a more information and tips, head to the full article.

https://www.homes.com/blog/2019/06/updated-flooring-for-under-200/?cmp=HDC-BrookeCribbs-UpdatedFlooring-07012019

CribbsStyle

• Andreacaa

Did you paint over the grout as well with the primer? I can't imagine having to paint each tile individually..

• CribbsStyle

I painted the floor as a whole including the grout. The only part that was painted individually was the stencil

• Starr

YES! Ours is huge as it's an open floor throughout the entire downstairs.. maybe they have a stencil that covers, say, four pieces at a time?

• Andreacaa

Thanks for the reply.

• Linda

Can I paint ceramic tile

• CribbsStyle

You sure can! Just make sure you use a bonding primer, but you should be totally fine.

• Starr

Our tile already has a design but I'd MUCH rather a more solid look.. maybe even a wood look.. is there such thing out there?

• Gma

I’ve seen plenty of techniques how to paint wood grain - there are also tools to drag through paint to get the look - it would just be picking the right colors or really any color you’d like and just getting the grain look - sorry I don’t have any links to point you to but they are out there

• Wandamurline

I just purchased a wood look rubber roller and a smaller hand rubber graining tool from Amazon for around $15.00. I am going to try my hand at the entry because I found a multi-colored plank linoleum and I want to see if I will like it before I expend a lot of money.

• Dalethomason

Could this be done on a vinyl floor? How would you fill any gouges in it!?

• CribbsStyle

It definitely can, but I personally don’t know how to fix the gouges. I would think some sort of paintable caulk would be good since it’s flexible like the vinyl.

• Holly Lehman

Can this technique be used on marble tile squares? We have a very ugly black tile in our two bathrooms with a white smear type of design going through them and they do not go with any other part of our house and I would really like to have a change.

• CribbsStyle

I don’t see why not. Just make sure you use a primer and allow good drying time.

• Mamma

Can you post a picture of how it has held up since you did this. How do you keep it from not having a foot traffic worn area?

• CribbsStyle

I’m only a few months in and only one tile has a couple scratches and it was something my kiddos did. Otherwise it’s held up the same as the picture shown.

• Ezg9606839

can this be done on a cement floor. Would I use the same paint or you something specifically for cement

• Grizzoid Carter

Yes, it can. I sanded concrete first with medium grit sandpaper. Then cleaned with a degreaser to make sure nothing would prevent paint from adhering. I used heavy duty porch paint as my base coat and acrylics for the stencil colors. Because of high traffic area, I made sure to put 3 coats of sealer as recommended by local paint store. It has held up well. Also, I did use a dehumidifier to dry out the concrete before, during and after all steps. I live in the deep South where humidity is heavy.

• Grizzoid Carter

Did you find the centerpoint of the room and start stenciling there or did you start just next to a wall

• CribbsStyle

I stenciled each tile as is. I didn’t change the pattern. So I started in the corner and worked around.

• Sally Gillies

Whoever built out house never cooked! White tile in the kitchen is REALLY hard to keep clean. Your idea is fantastic and I thank you for such clear directions. Now, if I can just send hubby on a short trip somewhere!

• CribbsStyle

That is just the sweetest, thank you!!!! Good luck and would love to see what you do!!

• David Ernest

Awesome guide. Very informative guide ever. Thanks for share.