Asked on Dec 4, 2019

Where can I find affordable down throw pillow inserts?

DeeEmilyMorgan McBride
+4

I’m looking for down feather throw pillow inserts. suraj palette I was thinking about getting some from Pottery Barn because I assumed the quality would be good. I haven’t ordered yet because they have only been $1-2 off and I’ve seen people have had a lot of complaints about PB lately. Anyone have a recommendation? Thanks! senior citizen homes

• K. Rupp

Inserts are expensive. I have no idea why. I have gotten them before at Joanne Fabrics. I don't think the inserts I purchased were even feather down but they were still too expensive. Are you making a pillow cover for the insert? Do you know how to sew? What I would do is buy affordable feather pillows from Big lots, Ross, or TJ Maxx and make an insert using sheet material or cheap muslin and fill it with the feathers from a regular pillow. Pillows are easy to make especially an insert because you don't have to match up patterns or add any detailing. That would be the most affordable way to get a feather insert pillow.

• Tami Sark

Thrift store!

• Linda Sikut

Hi Davemackron,

I would do exactly what K. Rupp suggested. Bed pillow stuffing works great and depending on the size of the ones you make, there may be enough in 1 bed pillow for 2 decorative pillows. Wishing you the best.

• Vimarhonor

I agree with your estimation of pottery barn. I recently spent more than $500 on black out curtains and the curtains are not black out. The customer service is awful. I hope you can find a alternate resolution.

• Morgan McBride

Look at Homegoods, TJ Max, etc. go to the sale rack. Look at the really ugly pillows - you can remove the covers and add yours! Look for pillows with down filling they are fluffier.

• Emily

We are fortunate to live in a town that has a "swap shop" and I have found many pillows with down insides. I also once got a used down comforter and made these pillows from the down and also the shams themselves I made from yard sale fabric. Down is easy to wash, just make sure you have it securely fastened inside a covering that will not "explode"

• Dee

Also go to Joanns fabric store, At Home, and Ikea.