Asked on Dec 7, 2019

How can I remove carpeting from and retread stairs?

By Brittany GoldwynRymeaFlipturn
+4

I have carpeted stairs and want to remove carpet and retread stairs with wood plank.

• FrugalFamilyTimes.com

We're doing that right now! You can buy oak and maple stair treads that are attached over the ugly stairs. :)

• Gk
  • Lifestyles Homes

Removing the carpet will unveil staples, glue and lots of prepping.

the oak stair treads are at least $27 a piece.

I have done extra prep work and am laminating mine in LVT.

It’s costing me about $8 a tread.

will post it when it’s done.

• Cynthia H

Have a sturdy staple puller, a scraper, some gloves , a utility knife, some heavy duty garbage bags and some patience, because I remember mine as messy and hard work. The padding had adhered to the wood, in mine.

• Flipturn

Is there carpet also on the stringers that has to be removed?

If so, you will need to add the cost of refinishing or recovering these areas into the project budget.

• Rymea

That is project well worth doing. People think this is an expensive project but when you add the cost of the carpet with the extra they charge for installing on stairs you find out the oak treads are less expensive than new carpet.

After tearing off the carpet you will have a better idea of where you stand. Maybe you can reuse the risers at least by filling the holes and painting . The hardest thing we came across was getting the new stair treads to fit perfectly against the wall string. You would think they would all be the same but they weren't. I had to make a cardboard template for each tread. i finally got smart and made the templet ends adjustable.

You can do this and you will love the result.

• By Brittany Goldwyn

We ultimately hired a local contractor to do it for us for $1,500, and it only took 4 hours start to finish. Once I added up all of the money we'd pay on new treads, risers, and other supplies, as well as all the time (weeks, with working as well) and space it would take, we decided it was worth the extra money. I wrote a whole post about how we made the decision to hire out vs. DIY and the things you should consider! You can take a look at it here if you're interested :)