Asked on Dec 7, 2019

How do I fix the bottom leg supports of a dining room chair?

RedcatcecSharonEmily
+7

I have tried to glue the chair back together many times I have also tried putting in new serrated wooden dowel pegs to no avail. This is the support rung between the front and rear legs on my armed dinning room chair and with it not attached to the front leg it’s dangerous to sit in! Help me please.sew-crazy

• Redcatcec

Have you tried wood glue? Glue the dowel into the hole and keep tension on it with a bungi cord to make it stay in place until the glue is dry, probably a good 8 hours.

• Sew crazy

Thanks for the info, I knew I needed some kind of clamp but couldn’t come up with a solution! The belts are a good idea as I don’t have the proper equipment . Thanks again

• Deb K

Hello Sew-cazy, hope this video gives you some ideas

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xBkce8meWkU

• Cynthia H

Wood glue is my go to. I usually bind them together as tightly as possible. Bungee cords sound like a good method, although I usually lay it on its side after tying a strip of canvas around it, putting some pressure on it a few minutes. I like Gorilla wood glue.

• Flipturn

Please post a picture of the portion of the chair that is broken so that we can see exactly what you have to work with.

• Emily

Is the hole the stretcher is going into, totally cleaned out? Otherwise the advice given is good, tension while drying and the glue to use. Are you sure the hole is not to big for the stretcher?

• Sharon

If you are doing a replacement dowel, you will need to slightly taper the ends so it fits snugly in the holes, I use Carpenter's glue, tap it in with a rubber mallet, and then use a couple belts to hold firm til it dries.

• Redcatcec

Yes, be sure the hole is cleaned out where the dowel will go into and the dowel is free of any glue. Put in your choice of wood glue and insert the dowel. From there, you need to create a system of tension to make it stick, you could use bungi cords, belts, something/anything to hold the glued pieces in place. Let it thoroughly dyr and then you should be ready to go.

Best to you.