Asked on Dec 9, 2019

Can you give me tips on decluttering a two-room apartment?

LynneHomeroadBetsy
+5

• Start by getting rid of any old paperwork - newspapers, magazines, catalogs, junk mail, etc. Then start small - one cabinet/closet at a time. Throw out or donate anything you''re not using: clothes, dishes, sheets, towels, small appliances, etc. I hope that helps you get started.

• FrugalFamilyTimes.com

This is my decluttering approach - just 3 questions! It works: https://www.frugalfamilytimes.com/2012/01/organizing-moving-with-morris.html

• Kathy Gunter Law

One rule we use is the 12 month usage. If you go through 12 months without using, then you probably don't need it. Specialty tools are an exception but I doubt you have those in an apartment.

For clothing, I have come to the realization I have too many and I'm trying to reduce them. I put a piece of clothing on and look at it in the mirror. If I don't love it enough to buy it again, I donate it.

• Vimarhonor

Focus on one area at a time.

Get rid of items you have no connection with. This trendy the KonMari method can be life-changing. It focuses on what you want items to keep (what brings you joy) instead of what you have to get rid of. This principle makes elimination relevant and a sucessful tool to achieve your goal.

https://konmari.com/

Hi Trenae: Decide what you want to keep, what you can incorporate (that 1/2 bottle of shampoo and that 1/3 bottle) things that you haven't used in over a year, the clothes you will never fit in again, things you can donate, things just to throw out, things to put on Freecycle.Org or Trashnothing.org (very cool sites, people will come and get anything!) Just be ruthless with some stuff, that foam ball has absolutely no sentimental value, but someone will want it, so Freecycle it! My theory is for everything I bring into my house, 2 things have to go out, whether donated or trashed. Good luck

• Homeroad

I would begin by removing everything from a closet or room. Make 3 piles, DONATE, TRASH, and KEEP. Only put back what you really want. Use clear bins with labels and hangers that are all the same. The secret to decluttering is to only keep what you love.

• Lynne

I usually make 3 piles: Keep, donate, and trash. I ask myself if I am going to miss it...is there sentimental value. If so, I keep it. If not, I ask myself if it is useful...will someone else use it. If so, donate. If not, I throw it away. I hope this is helpful!