Asked on Dec 16, 2019

How can I repurpose an antique breadbox?

ShariSkilled Thrifty CreativesAgnes Chrzanowska
+10

Have a relatives old breadbox. Would like to tastefully decorate it. Right now I have children’s books in it for when my grandkids come over in The living room.Should I just use it for that or does anyone have any other interesting ideas for another use or a different room. Thank you.

There is one shelf in the middle. It’s made of metal.

• Here's a link that may spark some ideas for you:

https://www.pinterest.com/dooney300/bread-box-ideas/

• Kathy Gunter Law
    Kathy Gunter Law

I like the idea of a book nook but you could also turn it into a storage area or a charging station.

• If it is clean enough on the inside, I would be tempted to use it as an actual bread box or storage container (for Tupperware or paper plates, etc.) in the kitchen. It's a darling piece and so in style right now. Gosh, they're in very high demand. You could even stencil the word BREAD across the front if you so desire. Then again, as a vintage anything lover and former kindergarten teacher I love your little book nook idea!!

• Dana Mason
    Dana Mason

i have three of these boxes. One is my Grandmother's and it was UGLY and Avocado Green when I got it. So, I painted it black to match my kitchen..... used it that way for a long time and just a couple weeks ago I covered it with Contact paper.

The other two are at the end of our Kitchen Island in a wooden shelf that my husband custom made to fit them. They are used for our Spices and seasonings.

Since yours appears to be metal, as mine are, you will want to use a Rustoleum type paint if painting to prevent it from Rusting.

You can also decoupage it with pictures, maps, sheet music, or even pages from some old books or bibles.

These are great for anything that you want to keep moisture out of. So, could be used to store acrylic paints, essential oils, or even makeup.

Or you could put near your entry way and store winter gloves, hats, and scarves in it.

.... I use an old mailbox in my laundry room for that.

• Holly Lengner - Lost Mom
    Holly Lengner - Lost Mom

This breadbox is amazing! You can spray paint it. I spray painted an old locker and love how it turned out.

https://www.lostmom.org/thrift-store-locker-makeover/

• Cynthia H
    Cynthia H

I would add a base and legs at a height that works for your grandchildren!

• Cindy
    Cindy

It could be painted and decorated with a child's theme. Continue using it for books for the grandchildren. I was told that the single best thing you can do for a child, is to read to them. It looks like there's plenty of room to hold books. What a gift for you if they use it to hold books for their grandchildren. Best wishes.

• As it is metal if you want to improve the appearance of the box try spray painting it with an appropriate paint. You will get a nice, even finish.

I love that you are using it for books for your grandchildren. I would keep it for that purpose and re-purpose again once they no longer want it. It would be great for just about any storage.

Great vintage piece!

• Sand and paint! You could add a stencil "Books" or even a vinyl quote.

• Agnes Chrzanowska
    Agnes Chrzanowska

Love your breadbox!! Just add a fresh coat of paint

• Skilled Thrifty Creatives
    Skilled Thrifty Creatives

I repurposed mind for art supplies and the front is a chalkboard surface.

https://www.hometalk.com/26563656/vintage-bread-box-revival

• Shari
    Shari

This may sound macabre, but I buy old bread boxes at thrift stores or wherever I find them, and save them to bury my cats in when they pass on. They seal the little bodies tightly so that critters can't get at them, and the hole required isn't really that deep to dig. I then plant catnip over the top of the dirt mound and say my farewells. I now have three of my own cats and one of my best friend in my flower garden. I can feel that they are still with me.