Rustic Succulent Garden

$10

For Christmas I was gifted a bag of individual succulents. I'm not a big plant person but I have been known to keep succulents alive.
Today I'm going to make a planter garden for these plants so they stand a fighting chance of living into the new year. 

The first thing I did was to locate a long narrow crate I had in my pile of things I want to turn into something in the future. The crate was just the right size for these small succulents. I painted it white with an easy white washing technique. You can see this technique in action by visiting the blog post below in the GO BOX.
Once the white paint dries its time to add a little stencil decor on the outside. I began with  a small botanical stencil I found on Amazon. First I located the center of the box.
I laid my stencils first on one side of the center and then flipped the stencil over to create a matching design on the other side. In the center I used the flowers from the Fresh Cut Flowers stencil from Old Sign Stencils. You will just love these stencils, they are well made and can be used on many projects by using bits and pieces of the stencils like I'm doing here.  
The next step is to add the succulents. I learned a lot about succulents when I did a post for Martha Stewart Living many years ago. I also just finished a succulent garden in a vintage frame that sold for big bucks at a school auction recently. You can read all about them by visiting the GO box at the bottom of this post. I spaced the succulents along the inside of the crate, starting with the largest in the center and the smaller ones on the ends.  
Next I needed to fill the spaces in the crate with sphagnam moss and small pebbles. The moss will keep the moisture in the crate and the rocks add another natural element to the garden.
The succulents sure look a lot better in their new home and I'm hoping they will be happy and grow. If you love succulent projects, I have several great projects over at Homeroad and you can see them HERE -->> https://www.homeroad.net/search?q=succulents Please visit Homeroad.net for more DIY tutorials and further instructions for this project.

Homeroad

• Tammy

I noticed that you left them in the original container. Should I be doing the same thing? It could explain why I have some die.

beautiful box!!

• Homeroad

Hi Tammy. I did leave them in there but when they get bigger I may have to repot.

• Paula K King

love love love!!

Do you line the inside of the box with anything to make it more waterproof and not leak on the surface underneath ?

• Edith Siegel

I place a small drip tray (plastic container lid) under each container. They are hidden beneath the stones, moss & etc.

• Barbars

I have a planter like yours from a gift of flowers at Christmas. Planed on using succulents also but not painting the box. After seeing yours I will paint mine.

• Homeroad

Oh you made my day! Paint it, why not!? Have fun and embellish it to your hearts desire. Thanks so much for your sweet comment!

• Cheryl Bruno

beautiful project---I'm inspired! xxoo