Chalk Paint® Furniture Makeover For Beginners

$140

The secret to painting furniture is to DONE IS BETTER THAN PERFECT. The beauty of using a chalk paint to paint furniture is that you don't have to follow the rules and it requires no prep.Even if you've never painted a piece of furniture before, try it out on a piece that doesn't have high stakes.
Before - The Hutch on Facebook

Annie Sloan Chalk Paint
Find something on Facebook or at a garage sale that you like the shape and size, but not the finish.It matters less what condition it's in as long as you like the style. I found a hutch on Facebook that was the right shape for my room.The materials required are:
  • Chalk Paint - You can make your own or buy it. They sell at Home Depot or at most antique stores. I used Graphite color.
  • Chalk Paint Wax - I used the black wax. The wax almost as important as the paint. It really transforms the color and makes it deeper.
  • Cloth - You will need two, one to clean the furniture with and one to buff the excess wax off.
  • Short Cut paint brush - You don't have to use this type of brush, but it makes the painting easier.
  • Wax brush - You can also apply the wax with a cloth, but I find it goes on more evenly and faster with a brush meant for chalk paint.
The steps to paint any furniture with chalk paint.
  • Wipe the furniture so that it's free of any dust or grease. Let it dry completely before you paint.
  • Shake the chalk paint before you open it. Apply one coat covering thoroughly using a short cut brush.
  • Allow the paint to dry.
  • Even if the paint doesn't look dark enough, apply wax to a small area to see if the wax makes the paint look dark enough. When I first saw my piece covered with paint I thought it needed an extra coat, but once I got the wax on I realized it didn't.
  • Apply the wax generously and wipe off any excess.
  • Optional - I removed the back of the hutch and applied removable wallpaper to the back.
Finished Hutch!
If you want to see more painting projects, come visit my blog.

Andrea

• Angie Weisheit

I've got two large pieces of furniture I bought on FB marketplace, and can't wait to redo them.

I do have one question: why do you not have to prepare a surface to be chalk painted? I've always wondered that and it scares me a bit lol! Thanks!

• Chrystal Dugger
      29 minutes ago

Waverly chalk paint is the best❣I use it all the time.i love it. Cheaper n just as good❤💯

• Jackie Milich Greenawalt

I have furniture that has some product across the top like a polyurethane. Do you know what you do if you have a piece like this before painting.

• Andrea

Chalk paint will go over anything but If it is high gloss, I would just scuff up the surface with steel wool or sandpaper, then go ahead and paint your piece. You don't have to sand the finish off, just rough it up.

• Amy

How long do you leave the wax on before taking it off?

• Andrea

Amy,

You don't take it off really. I brushed it on quite thickly. I let it set for about 15 minutes (while I applied wax to other sections). Then I went back with a cloth and rubbed off any excess. It continues to set up and after about 24 hours you won't be able to rub any off. I hope this helps.

Andrea

• Lori

Have the perfect piece to try this project on. Absolutely loved your finished hutch. The colors are beautiful. Thank you for the step by step directions!

• Andrea

Lori,

I'm so glad you liked it. I'm definitely no expert but it's a low stakes project.

Would love to see your project.

Andrea

• Kara Wurtzel

Great tutorial, thanks for sharing!