Chalk Paint® Furniture Makeover For Beginners
The secret to painting furniture is to DONE IS BETTER THAN PERFECT. The beauty of using a chalk paint to paint furniture is that you don't have to follow the rules and it requires no prep.Even if you've never painted a piece of furniture before, try it out on a piece that doesn't have high stakes.
Find something on Facebook or at a garage sale that you like the shape and size, but not the finish.It matters less what condition it's in as long as you like the style. I found a hutch on Facebook that was the right shape for my room.The materials required are:
- Chalk Paint - You can make your own or buy it. They sell at Home Depot or at most antique stores. I used Graphite color.
- Chalk Paint Wax - I used the black wax. The wax almost as important as the paint. It really transforms the color and makes it deeper.
- Cloth - You will need two, one to clean the furniture with and one to buff the excess wax off.
- Short Cut paint brush - You don't have to use this type of brush, but it makes the painting easier.
- Wax brush - You can also apply the wax with a cloth, but I find it goes on more evenly and faster with a brush meant for chalk paint.
The steps to paint any furniture with chalk paint.
- Wipe the furniture so that it's free of any dust or grease. Let it dry completely before you paint.
- Shake the chalk paint before you open it. Apply one coat covering thoroughly using a short cut brush.
- Allow the paint to dry.
- Even if the paint doesn't look dark enough, apply wax to a small area to see if the wax makes the paint look dark enough. When I first saw my piece covered with paint I thought it needed an extra coat, but once I got the wax on I realized it didn't.
- Apply the wax generously and wipe off any excess.
- Optional - I removed the back of the hutch and applied removable wallpaper to the back.
If you want to see more painting projects, come visit my blog.
See all materials
Any price and availability information displayed on [relevant Amazon Site(s), as applicable] at the time of purchase will apply to the purchase of this product.
Hometalk may collect a small share of sales from the links on this page. More info
Top Hometalk Projects
Want more details about this and other DIY projects? Check out my blog post!Go