From Wall to Wow

$32

Take a blank wall and turn it into a beautiful space for keeping track of your life, or drawing beautiful artwork with just paint and a few pieces of wood.

@mixedbagofbeautiful

I have been wanting to create a space in my kitchen that incorporates everything I need to run my large household. Somewhere where the kids can see what is happening in the next month, where they can see what we are having for dinner (so they don’t keep asking !) and where I can keep track of groceries I need to order. I have a huge wall at the end of my butlers pantry that was perfect for this space.

I used very simple items easily found at any hardware store. I was painting directly onto the wall so didn’t need a backing board and I just wanted to add a simple trim but didn’t want to attach it to the wall with nails so I grabbed this Scotch mounting tape

I first figured out how big I wanted my chalkboard and taped it off. I wanted it mega to be able to accommodate everything I wanted to use it for. Mine ended up being 125cm x 75cm. 

This video file cannot be played.(Error Code: 102630)

Then came the fun part. My dad is a painter so I’ve grown up loving doing this sort of DIY job. I allowed the first coat to dry for 16 hrs and then put on a second coat.

Look at those perfect edges!!

While the chalk board was drying I cut my trim pieces to length and stained them using Cabot’s Stain and Varnish in a walnut colour. I used three coats.

Now came another fun part!! I attached the pieces to make the frame using the permanent scotch tape from Bunnings. I’m not planning on ever moving this so permanent was the way to go.

It turned out way better than I expected and I'm super excited to start using it to organise my mega family!

To see more: https://www.instagram.com/mixedbagofbeautiful/

• RebeccaJames

Love it I have a perfect wall. I have grandchildren over all the time and this would make the perfect place for them to leave me pics, notes , etc....

thanks for the idea 😊

• Tracy
    17 minutes ago

Ooooooo, expanding on Rebeccajames' comment. You could also use some magnetic paint for Magnets for the little ones.