From Wall to Wow

$32

Take a blank wall and turn it into a beautiful space for keeping track of your life, or drawing beautiful artwork with just paint and a few pieces of wood.

@mixedbagofbeautiful

I have been wanting to create a space in my kitchen that incorporates everything I need to run my large household. Somewhere where the kids can see what is happening in the next month, where they can see what we are having for dinner (so they don’t keep asking !) and where I can keep track of groceries I need to order. I have a huge wall at the end of my butlers pantry that was perfect for this space.

I used very simple items easily found at any hardware store. I was painting directly onto the wall so didn’t need a backing board and I just wanted to add a simple trim but didn’t want to attach it to the wall with nails so I grabbed this Scotch mounting tape

I first figured out how big I wanted my chalkboard and taped it off. I wanted it mega to be able to accommodate everything I wanted to use it for. Mine ended up being 125cm x 75cm. 

This video file cannot be played.(Error Code: 102630)

Then came the fun part. My dad is a painter so I’ve grown up loving doing this sort of DIY job. I allowed the first coat to dry for 16 hrs and then put on a second coat.

Look at those perfect edges!!

While the chalk board was drying I cut my trim pieces to length and stained them using Cabot’s Stain and Varnish in a walnut colour. I used three coats.

Now came another fun part!! I attached the pieces to make the frame using the permanent scotch tape from Bunnings. I’m not planning on ever moving this so permanent was the way to go.

It turned out way better than I expected and I'm super excited to start using it to organise my mega family!

3 Brilliant Ideas How to Use Photo Frames
26 Adorable Ornament Ideas to Get You REALLY Excited for Christmas
30 Different Ways to DIY an Adorable Snowman This Winter
Grab Some Pool Noodles And Copy These 3 Ideas
30 Stunning Ways To Display Your Plants
31 Brilliant Ways To Repurpose Everyday Items Into Perfect Organizers
31 Space-Saving Storage Ideas That'll Keep Your Home Organized
These Clever Decor Ideas Are So Perfect For Summer
3 Weird Step-by-Step Ways to Decorate Your Plain Tea Towels
These Bathroom Makeovers Might Inspire You To Update Your Own

To see more: https://www.instagram.com/mixedbagofbeautiful/

• Keisha Blue

How did you make the tassel garland?

• Dara

How would you make this portable or moveable? We're renting so permanent isn't something that works for me. Im assuming wood, but any particular kind you'd recommend?

• Jo | mixedbagofbeautiful

Hey Dara, I have made them portable aswell. I just use 3 mm mdf boards (And get it cut to the size i want at the hardware store) and attach the frame to it with either a staple gun or a Brad nailer. Good luck!!

• Tracy

Ooooooo, expanding on Rebeccajames' comment. You could also use some magnetic paint for Magnets for the little ones.

• Carmellia Saretzky

We did this to our home in the Rumpus room. Loved by kids and adults!