Asked on Jan 29, 2020

How do I get rid of flying insects in my home?

RedcatcecJohnavallance82Bushra
+7

How to get rid of small flying in house ?

• They could be fruit flies or fungus gnats. Here's a link that may help:

http://www.terro.com/articles/fruit-flies-drain-flies-fungus-gnats

• Kathy Gunter Law

Fruit Fly Trap

You can make a fruit fly trap. Cut a plastic bottle about 2/3 of the way up. Remove the screw top lid. Squirt a little dish soap in the bottom, add 2 Tbsp apple cider vinegar, 1 Tbsp sugar, 1/2 cup warm water (dissolve the sugar). Place the top inverted into the bottom. They will fly into the neck to get at the solution but won't be able to escape.

• Beth

Others have given you some good ideas. If they're flies rather than fruit flies, you can try fly strips--I've had good luck catching small-to-medium-sized bugs with fly hanging fly strips. They're tacky so that the flies get stuck when they fly into it.

• Johnavallance82

Hi Dianna,

You could even give the copper pennies in a jar covered in water a go...........

Best wishes.

• Sharon

Those little round fly paper strips that you poke a thumb tack into the ceiling work great. I usually start the round container down a bit when I hang them. Then to not handle them to remove when full, I put a plastic bag over them from the bottom to the top before pulling out the thumb tack.

I usually have one over the cat box, and where I keep my onions and garlic. Last summer I had one in the bedroom too.

I pick the location for them where no one will bump into or walk into the sticky stuff cause its really sticky.

• we use a small dish of vinegar with a drop or two of dish soap. They are attracted to the vinegar, and the soap on the surface of the vinegar keeps the flies from leaving the bowl. Good luck!

• Patricia

Great ideas all ... One item I use throughout the summer months include orange and / or grapefruit peels ...cut them up, place in window sills and door threshold (outside only, close to home). I also scatter on ground near garage door ... No more little critters or bugs. They evidently keep a distance 🤗. pp

• Bushra

Use vinegar with water and spray them all around. It really helps.

• Johnavallance82

Hi,

You could also try Copper in a jar of water, I understand that works, but i haven't tried it yet myself!

• Redcatcec

They might be entering your house from the produce brought in from the stores. The eggs are on the outside skins and hatch when conditions are right. Wash all produce and store in the refrigerator, keep bananas at room temp and covered. Since the eggs are now in the sink drain, clean that with baking soda and vinegar, when the fizzing stops, rinse with hot water, you may want to keep your drains covered in case a few survived. Fot the air borne ones, I use a flat sticky cardboard for catching mice, peel off the plastic cover and lay it flat, place a decaying small piece of fruit in the center of it. They will land on it never to fly and pester you again.