Around the World for a Hanging Lamp

$50

I love anything vintage, and when you can UpCycle globes into a functional light it makes life a fun place. When using old globes I try to get different shapes and colors and try to find different pieces to hang them from.

Using three old globes, a vintage level and tri wire sockets with vintage look bulbs, you have the makings of a cool hanging light.

The first task was to decide how big an opening you want at the base of the globe where the bulb will hang out. To make the hole, I used my trusty Dremel to cut the circle. What’s nice about most globes is you have lines already marked to make your cut. Globes are made of cardboard, plastic or metal and the Dremel easily cuts all of these with ease. Make sure you wear eye protection because sparks and pieces will fly up into your face.

Once the holes are cut in the globes the decision is what height do you want each globe and how to position them under the vintage level. I usually lay them out first to see how it will look. The other consideration is they have to balance.

The next step is to cut holes down through the top of the level on each end and fish the wires through. Once through, I tied knots in the wire under the level to anchor it.

I fished the wire through the top of the globes and decided how far each globe should hang down. When I decided the length, I tied knots inside the globes to anchor them in place

i next connected the wires to the sockets and added bulbs . The last step was to use steel wool to clean the wood and brass on the level.

They look pretty good lit up in the light as well as in the dark.

This was a fun project and will make a unique light in a library or over a dining room table.

• Riton

Omg !!! How cool. I actually have a “map” dining room. I think I’m gonna use your and Kathy’s ideas to make a awesome lamp. Ty guys for my next project.

• Kathy K. Williams
    3 hours ago

Hits home,

My boyfriend has gone to work in QATAR,

HE IS FROM INDIA, I'M IN OHIO....