Chalkboard Serving Tray

$15

A project doesn't have to be complicated to be rewarding! This is one of the quickest, easiest projects I've completed, and the end result was super fun. You only need three tools.

1 - screwdriver

2 - drill

3 - saw (and you don't even need the saw if you have the boards cut for you at the store!)

I made two different widths of serving tray on two different kinds of wood. 1 tray was made with this 8" wide aspen.

The other was made with this 12" wide edge glued pine.

Step one is cutting your boards to length. We went with 20"

Next, use painters tape to tape off the parts of the board where you want to keep a wood surface.

Everything you leave exposed will be covered with chalk paint. As you can see, we went with a few different designs. Once taped, spray it with chalk paint. I'd never used chalk paint before, but it goes on nice and easy, just like any spray paint would.

Be sure you give the chalk paint plenty of time to dry, and then flip your tape. This time, cover up the black chalkboard areas so you can treat the exposed wood with butcher block oil. You can apply a thin coat with a rag. I applied two coats.

After the oil dried, we removed the tape and coated the chalkboard areas with fresh chalk. We read that it's a good idea to do this and then erase it to ensure any writing erases more cleanly in the future.

Lastly, attach handles to the ends of each tray. We grabbed several varieties of standard handles/pulls from Menards. Drill holes and attach the handles with the provided screws. You may want to countersink the holes or add pads on the bottom corners of the tray to ensure the screws don't scratch any tables or counters.

This is how the thinner version on aspen turned out.

We gave one of the wider pine versions as a gift and wrote the "to" and "from" right on it. In the future, these can be fun for writing messages on while hosting. Sometimes, they actually leave this tray displayed out on their counter.

Or, this version might be great for labeling cheese, nuts or anything else you serve on it. These trays are incredibly easy and fun to make. In fact, we'll probably be making more soon. We gave them all away as gifts and now wish we had one for ourselves! Follow me on Instagram at     @woodyworking for more simple woodworking DIY or home improvement projects. Happy building!

3 Simple Green Ways To Clean In Your Home
30 Adorable DIY Ideas For July 4th
Check Out These 15 Beautiful Flower Ideas For Spring
16 Floating Shelves That Will Stun Guests
30 Adorable DIY Ideas For July 4th
These Bathroom Makeovers Might Inspire You To Update Your Own
31 Ways To Get Privacy Inside And Outside Your Home
31 Clever Ideas To Reuse Muffin Pans And Cupcake Liners
15 Easy & Colorful DIY Projects For Your Home
The Best Industrial Style DIY Ideas For Your Home Using Pipes
30 Jaw-Dropping Decorating Techniques You've Never Seen Before
Do You Want to Make Over a Room in Your Home & Add Gorgeous Built-Ins?
13 DIY Projects That Scream Canada

• Randy

Thanks so much for this idea. I think I might try it, but can you please comment, does the chalk writing on the black paint come off easily enough so you can write new things with out it looking messy? Thanks.

• Giselle

If you use a chalk marker it will not rub off quite as easily as real chalk so if you used a fancy script or drew a picture it will last longer.

• Val

Fantastic idea, it's beautiful.

• Nancy Peterman

I love this! What a great gift idea. I have just the person in mind.