Asked on Mar 26, 2020

How do I mix paint?

Becky at Flipping the FlipLindsay AratariAdrienne Carrie Hubbard | Crafty Little Gnome
+14

I want to redo a wooden letter E that I bought an it’s painted yellow with black dots! I want to use two pink shades a purple an a little white but I do not know what paint I need to get and do I use resin to seal it? I will also have to sand off the old design correct? It’s something I wanna do for my grand daughter an test my skills this will be my first DIY paint project and just need some how to cheap ideas thank in advance

You can use any paint you want. You can buy sample jars of paint at Home Depot, Lowes. Craft paint at Michaels or Hobby Lobby. Use three coats of water based polyurethane to seal it. I suggest craft paint since it comes in small jars and a variety of color choices.

• Gk

Hello Lindy! You can sand your letter off as much as possible until it feels smooth. I would use a bit of primer on it if you have any and then you can use the acrylic paint in the small bottles found in craft stores. You could use flat spray paint for a base color and then add detail with other colors using the acrylic paint. Make sure you use FLAT spray paint. Once you are finished and everything is dry you can seal it with a clear waterbased poly-either brush on or spray. Here's a little tutorial for you!

https://www.craftcuts.com/community/how-to-paint/how-to-paint-wood-letters

• Cheryl A

Lindy

You could repaint it but what about using mod podge to cover it and you can use scrapbook paper, fabric or even decorative napkins. This would cover the old paint job and be less work and expense for you. https://www.pinterest.com/65PinkChevy/painting-letters/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SQoBbV5mA1I

• GrandmasHouseDIY

Yep sand it down smooth so you're new paint will stick well. Use an acrylic primer and than use acrylic paint over it. After that a poly acrylic sealant will also work great. I like acrylic paints and sealants because they're water based and not toxic and dry fast, hope that helps!

• Chloe Crabtree

This should be an easy project for you to try. I would sand the entire letter well and then use a tack cloth to make sure you have all of the dust off of it. You could use an acrylic paint to paint it or you could spray paint it and then use acrylic to add the additional pattern. It is not necessary for you to seal this.

• Nan W.

Hi! If the black dots are not smooth, you may have to sand a bit. If the previous color was latex paint... just get more latex, apply a couple of coats and you're good to go! HAVE FUN!

• Kathy Gunter Law

If you can feel the dots you will want to sand them off or you will see the texture. However it might look good with raised dots, your choice. As for sealing, I've never sealed anything that was interior except when I put a coat of poly on it (flat surfaces that might get items set down on them). Chalk paint is easy but also scratches easily so if you don't want distressed, go elsewhere. Spray paint provides a smoother finish. I like to brush paint most items and I always use a Wooster or Purdy brush with very smooth results.

• Morgan McBride

I would use craft acrylic paint. The black dots might be harder to cover - just take a lot of coats. You don't need to coat with resin. If you REALLY want a top coat, get spray modge podge, but if it's just decor it shouldn't need a top coat.

• Jules

I like acrylics. Use any smooth, non absorbent thing to mix to the best consistency for you. Brushes can get very expensive. Mid price seem to hold together with no splaying. Broad or wide strokes I tend to use a foam brush. Have fun!

• Lauren of Mom Home Guide

I agree. Simple acrylic paint should work. It’s not hard at all to mix paints. This tutorial on mixing paints should help: https://www.mybluprint.com/article/11-hacks-for-mixing-acrylic-paint-perfectly

• Cynthia H

Hi! The easiest way to cover a bright or dark color is Kilz. If the dots are raised, sanding them smooth is a good suggestion. Then paint it with any paint you like.

Hi Lindy: If the surface is raised, then I'd sand it down so it's flat. You shouldn't have to sand the old design off. Then, use a white primer to cover the black. You may need a couple of coats. You can use just about any paint, if it's going to be indoors, and maybe seal it with some polyurethane. Paint the back of the E first, the side that's not going to be seen, Then. on this side that's not going to be seen, you can pound in some thin nails about 1/4 inch on the ends, use 6, 1 on each foot of the E and 3 going down the back. Stand the E on these nails and then, you can paint the sides and top without worrying about it sticking to the paper or whatever you are going to paint it on, or drips. Good luck, I'm sure she'll love it :)

• Kmdreamer

You could just prime it first instead of sanding it down then start like new

• Vimarhonor

Primer would be an excellent thing to consider.

I use both spray and paint on Zinsser BIN primer, the one with the shellac base for furniture projects.

• lightly sand and then use latex paint

• Lindsay Aratari

You could prime it first and then paint it. If the dots are raised I would sand it first

• Since you don't know what kind of paint was previously used, sand off any raised areas then seal it with a good primer. You can use acrylic paints and seal it with a spray sealer or a water based polyurethane.