Black Pipe Bed Tray

$50

I wanted a farmhouse look to a bed tray.

This is the finished project - bed tray

The finished project - farmhouse looking bed tray using black pipe and pipe fittings.

Sand, stain and waterproof the top.

I purchased pipe, pipe fittings, two-foot poplar board. I had on hand: stain (dark walnut), 3/4" screws, 220 grit sandpaper, and Polycrylic sealer. I sanded with 220 grit using a palm sander, then applied Minwax dark walnut stain, and finally three coats of Polycrylic. I applied the first coat of Polycrylic after letting the stained board dry overnight. After two hours of drying time of the first coat of Polycrylic, I lightly sanded with 220 grit and then applied the second coat of Polycrylic. Waiting another two hours to let dry, I then sanded and applied the final coat of Polycrylic.

Assemble the pipe and pipe fittings.

I assembled each "leg unit". Be sure to wipe down the black pipe and fittings with denatured alcohol otherwise your hands will turn black!

Mark and drill the holes

I measured one inch in from the end and a 1/2 inch in on the sides to center the legs. I then marked and piloted drilled the holes. I made sure that I did not drill too deep by placing blue painter's tape on the drill bit, marking how deep I could safely drill.

Attaching the legs.

I then screwed down the legs to the board.

Another look with legs prior to attaching.

Legs attached.

A look at the finished project.

• Bbunny

You could also make a smaller version of this and use it under your desk to prop your feet on.

• Salomie Walton Janneker

The black pipe. Can I use PVC Pipes instead. Very good idea. Thanks

• Ouina

Yes, you could. Spray paint the PVC pipe what ever color you choose. It will definitely be lighter and less expensive.