Asked on Apr 18, 2020

How i safe my desk

BetsyMorgan McBrideTheHoneycombHome
+8

I used thick paint for my wooden desk. I have ruined it. What can i do to repaint the surface

• FrugalFamilyTimes.com
    FrugalFamilyTimes.com

How was it ruined? You will likely need to sand the bad finish off entirely and start over with primer and a better paint.

William

Strip the paint off with Citristrip stripper and start over.

• Gk
    Gk

You will have to strip the paint off or sand it off and start again. You really don't want to paint over a bad paint job because it won't look any better. Sorry this happened to you!

• Mogie
    Mogie

Strip the desk, prime and repaint. Many very light coats are better then a few heavy coats.

• Cindy
    Cindy

You should sand off the bad paint. You can use a palm sander or attach a piece of sandpaper around a block and sand by hand. Start with 80 grit sandpaper. Then sand with 220 grit sandpaper. And finish sanding with a 400 grit sandpaper. Doing it this way will give you a nice smooth surface. To paint use a foam brush or a roller. That way you won't have any brush lines in your paint.

• Michelle Leslie
    Michelle Leslie

Hi there, it's okay you haven't ruined it and you can fix it. Remove all the drawers and handles if there are any and use a sander to sand the paint off. Start with a 60 grit sand paper and slowly work your way up to a 100 and then 120 grit. You may even find that at some point you fall in love with the look of the sanded paint. Best of luck, you can do it

• Johnavallance82
    Johnavallance82

Hello Teo Boo Min,

Yes, you will need to sand it down well and start again. If you, end up with bare wood then use a Primer, and then an undercoat and then two thin top coats of Satin finish paint. I always thing Gloss paint shows every defect and give a hard harsh look! If you have a smooth surface, but you don't like the look, you could always use Chalk paint over it, and then use a clear or antique wax to seal it. If your painting efforts are showing brush marks and runs, but you don't want to go to the trouble of sanding it down, you could maybe disguise it by drawing over it using Sharpie Pens and colouring the design, or covering it with Thick wallpaper of maybe fabric, using Mod podge, or decoupage. All is not lost! You could even use ceramic or mirror tiles, Think out of the box...........Best wishes.

• K. Rupp
    K. Rupp

OMG....I did this too when I was starting out with painting furniture. It isn't as easy because you have to know what paints work well to give an amazing finish and also hold up to use. You haven't ruined the furniture though. You just need to sand it down.

You could strip it.....but I always like to just go for it and start sanding. You can skip that step but just make sure that you know there will be more dust and you should wear a mask and attach a vacuum.

if you are just going to paint again, you could sand it smooth...start with lower number grit and work your way up to 220. Then primer it. Then I would steel wool or lightly sand again before you add your paint coats(using quality paint...talk to the paint stores on what to use) This gives that super soft paint finish. You could even use a sprayer for a pro finish. You can finish it off with a general finishes topcoat which is a great sealer.

More expensive way and my favorite....Benjamin Moore ADVANCE!! $50 per gallon but it's so worth it. That paint is an excellent cabinet paint and you don't need a topcoat. I seriously just wipe it down when it gets dirty.

I used ADVANCE on a sewing table/desk because if you know sewing, you know how the pins can scrape as it forwards through the sewing machine. Well if you are doing a desk, I would imagine it would be similar. It is a high traffic spot. Will you be using the desk? writing tools, books, laptops......you might want some paint that is HEAVY DUTY! The ADVANCE will be a way your desk won't get wear and scratched up. . A cabinet paint mainly used for kitchens and bathrooms, but I use it for furniture that needs to be extra tough!!! Anyway, hope this helps. Benjamin Moore comes in all those beautiful colors so with advance you can pick whatever color they have in their store. Good luck!

• TheHoneycombHome
    TheHoneycombHome

Sand it and start over unfortunately. One really good clear top coat that holds up well is called Tough Coat by Fusion Mineral Paint.

• Morgan McBride
    Morgan McBride

You can sand it and apply paint thinner and scrape it off

Betsy

Hi Teo Boo: Well, you can start from scratch and take the paint off. You haven't ruined it, you just don't like what you did and want something else :) You can take the paint off with a product called CitriStrip. It's easy to use and you can get it at most home improvement stores. Use a LOT of news paper when scraping the paint off and use a wide plastic putty knife. Get a 1" one while you're at it, for the smaller spaces. Fear not, this can be fixed :) We have all been there, done that, fixed it and smiled at our finished product :) All you've lost is time, but you have gained experience. By the way, the secret is to use thin layers of paint. They dry faster and without bubbles :) Sometimes the thick layers don't dry at all :( So, thin layers it is. Good luck