Mother's Day Painted Mason Jar Tissue Holder

$5

Having a tissue holder near you on your desk, or the bathroom counter, or even the kitchen counter is always a good idea. Especially during the Spring months when pollen is high and your sinuses are screaming at you. But a tissue holder doesn't have to be a generic box. It can be a special holder made for such a special occasion as Mother's Day to remind your mom that she is so blessed.

Cover the outside of the jar with Mod Podge

Since I was going to use acrylic paint to cover the outside of the jar, I first applied a coat of Mod Podge in matte finish to the outside of the jar to help the acrylic paint to stick to the glass better.

Next, paint with your color of choice

I chose to paint the outside of my jar with navy acrylic paint for this project. In this photo you see more than one project going on at the same time. It took me three coats of the navy paint to fully cover the outside of the jar.

After allowing the paint to dry overnight, I sprayed down the jar with Rust-Oleum Triple Thick Glaze in high gloss to seal the paint.

Create a phrase or image for the outside of the jar

For this part of the project, I cut a custom vinyl decal using my Cricut Joy. However, the same look can be achieved with a steady hand and a Sharpie marker, or acrylic paint. Even decorative cutouts and Mod Podge would work.

Decorate your jar however you like for that special person.

Cut out the decorative top of the tissue holder.

To make the top of the jar where the tissues slide out, I first found a coordinating fabric and traced the outline of the jar lid with a white pencil.

Then I cut out the fabric circle and created and opening in the center of the circle for the tissues to slide through by cutting an X shape in the center of the fabric.

Custom Tissue Holder for Mother's Day

In the end, you will have a custom and personalized present for Mother's Day to share which can be used all year round.

Donna Powell

• Elizabeth

Ho do you put tissues in

• Lisa

I’d love to do this but how do you get tissues in the jar?

• Erin

I’m looking at getting a vinyl cutter/printer to make my own vinyl decals, but there’s so many choices out there I’m just wondering what machine you have or any suggestions on one. Thanks in advance

• Donna Powell

I completely understand the confusion and overwhelm with these machines. In fact I avoided even purchasing one until this year. I only have the Cricut Joy which of course is the smaller machine but I have found it is a great machine to learn on without the overwhelm. I'm sure I will update to one of the more robust Cricut machines in the next few years but for now I am learning a lot on the smaller machine.

• Tonya

Kleenex perfect fit tissues are what I used, bought them at Target. Take them out of their container carefully.

• Donna Powell

To anyone asking how to put the tissues in the jar, here is what I do. I open a small square box of tissues from the bottom of the box and remove the tissues as a whole roll. Then you put the roll of tissues in the jar with the lead tissue going up through the opening in the jar lid fabric. At that point it works just like the box of tissues does.