Dutch Pour Painting Technique

$10

Have you ever seen those cool pour paintings on instagram and thought “how do they do that?”. Well, if you have, then you’ll hopefully enjoy this project.

I’ll show you how to do a Dutch Pour which is one of the most fun and potentially messy pours out there!

If you have time, please also check out my Etsy store where I sell my work along with many other handmade pieces.

WHAT YOU’LL NEED

• A canvas (16” x 20”)
  • Acrylic paints, accent and background colours
  • Floetrol
  • Silicone spray
  • Water
  • Mixing cups
  • Mixing sticks
  • Hair dryer and flat nozzle
  • Gloves

YouTube!

Click play above to watch my YouTube video of this project.

Please also visit my channel and subscribe for future tutorials

MIXING YOUR PAINTS

I originally got my recipe online but since then I’ve tweaked it until I found the perfect mix for me.

Recipe: 1 part paint, a splash of water and 1 part floetrol. Mixed together in that order followed by a quick spray of silicone.

Process: Add a splash of water to your paint and mix well until you achieve a warm honey-like texture. If your paint is too gloopy, add a touch more water. Once the warm honey texture is achieved, add the floetrol. Mix fully until the consistency is still that of warm honey. Do this with all your colours, accent and background.

Then set your background colours aside. Add a quick spray of silicone to your accent colours only and mix in a gently.

My accent colours are orange, turquoise, red and navy and my background colours are black and white.

Now you’re good to go!

PREPARING YOUR CANVAS

You can choose to have your background however you want, I decided to divide my canvas in half diagonally and cover 1 half in white and the other half in black.

Use a generous amount of paint to cover the canvas but keep some back for a later step. If you don’t use enough paint at this stage, your pour won’t ‘blow out’ as well later on.

ADDING THE ACCENT COLOURS

One by one, pour a line of each accent colour across your canvas along the divide between the black and white, one on top of the other.

Again, be liberal with your paint. This is the last time you should need your accent colours so don’t worry about using them up.

CREATE BARRIERS

Grab your left over black and white paint from earlier and create thick ‘barriers’ on both sides of your accent colour dividing line. Do this by pouring the rest of your background paints along the edge of the divide but still on their corresponding colour side.

COVER UP!

Using your hair dryer and holding it low and flat, blow the black and white ‘barriers’ towards each other so that they meet in the middle of your canvas. The aim is to blow the black and white over the accent colour line creating a mix in the middle that is ready to be blown outwards, Dutch-pour-style.

BLOW OUT

Don’t worry if the black and white paint hasn’t completely covered your accent colours, this is tricky to do and there is usually always some colour left poking out, this isn’t a problem.

Once you’ve prepped your mix and it’s sitting in the middle of your canvas, use your hair dryer in a zig-zag motion to blow all the paint out from the middle across the blank parts of your canvas.

SOFTEN THE EDGES

Using a straw, blow out any harsh edges to add soft feathery detail.

Lastly, you can add further detail using a blow torch by creating more cells.

TA-DAH!

That’s all there is to a Dutch pour.

I think it might sound more complicated than it actually is, so it may be easy to watch my YouTube video above which hopefully shows how to do this a whole lot better.

Please remember to check out my Etsy store for lots of handmade bits.

Thanks for taking the time to check out my project. If you have any questions, drop them below and I’ll happily get back to you.

Happy crafting x

Do Your Kitchen Cabinets Need an Update?
Easy DIY Remedies For Your 7 Most Hated Bugs
20 Easy Projects To Help You Get Ready For Easter
Old License Plates Lying Around? Check Out These 28 Snazzy Decor Ideas
31 Creative Ways To Fill Empty Wall Space
18 Ideas to Keep You From Feeling Blue
16 Floating Shelves That Will Stun Guests
The Best Industrial Style DIY Ideas For Your Home Using Pipes
Valentine's Day Is Getting Closer! Get Ready With These Lovely Ideas

• B.C. Smith-Ashmall

This is the first time I've seen this type of project mention silicone. What's its purpose? Also the instructions say to use a "quick spray" of it but the materials list shows the type that comes in a a tube so how does that work?

• Hannah Somerville

As Abbie and Lola have very rightly said, silicone is what helps the paint split into cells on the surface allowing different layers and colours of paint to pop through.

Unfortunately I am not in full control of what hometalk add to the materials list in terms of specific products. I would personally recommend an aerosol can of silicone for acrylic pouring as I find it very easy to work with and the spray action creates an even layer of product over your mixed paints which is very easy to then fold into the mix.

I hope that helps

• Carolina

These are breathtaking!!! Total works of art! nicely done!!!

• Darlene Ernst

I've been collecting supplies to try pour painting for quite awhile. I just needed inspiration for a piece that had bright vibrant primary colors........thanks!