Raised Garden Bed

$100

This was so easy, we should’ve done this a long time ago!

Our new garden bed 💚🌱

This is the completed project and I’m not certain if it’s the correct way to build one but it serves its purpose and it’s keeping critters out too.

Step 1 Attaching the planks

Attaching the wood planks

The bed is 3 x 9 ft. For the 9ft side, we used 2 planks that measured 1 ft X 9 ft and stacked them on top of one another then attached them metal brackets. We used flat brackets for the center of the boards and L shaped like the one in the photo for the ends. For the shorter side, we also used the same however, the shorter side was only 3 ft. Hence, a completed bed which measured 3 X 9. Tip, we purchased two 1 ft X 12 ft planks, cut them so we had two 3ft planks and two 9 ft planks, which made the height of our bed 2 ft tall.

Step 2 Securing the corners

Corners

These are the metal brackets we used to attach the boards together, the 3 ft to the 9 ft. We used 2, one towards the top of the planks and the second towards the bottom just to ensure they were secured.

Step 3 Level the dirt & stabilize the bed

Planks secured

We opted to use the wall to our advantage and instead of using wood, we used the block wall as our 3rd & 4Th wall of the bed. So, we built an L shape base instead of a full rectangular bed made of only wood. I hope that made sense 🤦🏻‍♀️ The completed size it 3x9 ft. FYI, make sure the ground is leveled.

Step 4 The PVC Hoop Cover

The PVC Hoop Cover

I wanted to make a cover for the bed to prevent critters from indulging in the fruits of my labor and to protect them from harsh weather. This was very easy and inexpensive too. First, decide on the length that you will need and cut them to size. I will show you how we attached them in the next photos.

Step 5 Securing the PVCs for the hoop cover

Attaching the PVCs to the wall and bed

We used 1 inch PVC pipes, cut them about 1 ft each, and secured them to the walls with brackets. My husband drilled the holes first on the wall to make it easier to drill in the concrete screws. We used regular screws to attach them to the wood. We secured 6 total in order to get our hoop cover shape. I will explain later where they were all placed but 3 of them were secured to the brick walls. One at each end of the bed and the 3rd in the center.

Step 6 Laying the Weed Blocker Barrier

Plastic Weed blocker Barrier

After we attached the PVC pipes to the block wall, we laid the plastic weed blocker to the entire surface of the bottom of the bed. We also brought it up against the wood walls. You don’t have to do this, you can just lay it on the bottom.

Step 7 Completing the base for the hoop cover

The Base for the PVC Hoop Cover

As I previously mentioned, we attached 3 of the 1 inch pipes against the brick walls. The other 3 were secured directly across from the ones against the walls, 1 at each end of the bed and the 3rd in the center. Once this was completed, the base was ready to insert and hold in place the 1/2 inch PVC pipes and construct the hoop cover. I will show you what I mean in the next photo.

Step 8 Attaching the Hoop Cover and filling the bed

The Hoop Cover

Here you can see what I meant, once the 1 inch pipes are attached, the 1/2 inch pipes are inserted into the 1 inch pipes to make the hoops for the cover. Garden plastic is than applied over the hoops. At this point, we also filled the bed with soil and compost.

Step 9 Irrigation Drip Tubing

The irrigation tubing

Our irrigation drip tubing lays on top of the soil. We first decided where we wanted it to lay, cut it to size, made the holes using the hole punch that came with the irrigation drip system. If you purchase a kit, it comes with everything you need. We purchased ours from Lowes. I will show you the final product in the next few photos.

Step 10 Attaching the Drip System Connectors

Attaching the drip system

Once the holes were made, the drip system connectors were inserted into the holes, it’s that simple.

The drip system connectors

This is what the connectors look like after they’re inserted into the holes.

Irrigation Drip System

This is a photo of our completed irrigation drip system which we placed on top of the soil.

The completed bed

Raised Garden Bed

A photo or our completed raised garden bed. I’m looking forward to growing veggies. So far, we are happy with it. If you notice from this photo, we built a small shelf like border over the top of the bed, not necessary but I thought it gave it a more complete look. The wood panels are approximately 4 inches wide and the length is the same as the base of the bed. The longer one is 9 ft and the smaller is 3 ft. 🌿 Happy DIYing and if you want to see more of what I do, please come visit me on Instagram at https://www.instagram.com/mycreativekneads/

• Lenie Stroh

Question - how does it drain with the pvc at the bottom?

• Catie

Pvc is only to sturdy the walls, yea the flowers will grow even with the shade tree as long as they are watered properly. Thank you

• Jennifer

Wonderful project results...my only concern is will your plants get enough sun? What with the concrete wall and the rather large tree on the opposite sides, it doesn't seem to get enough sun for plants to thrive. Perhaps if you prune your branches, more light will come in.

• Irma | mycreativekneads

Thank you Jennifer, it does look as if it’s primarily full of shade but we get a lot of sunlight. My veggies are doing great so far. I will probably post an updated photo soon so people can see my veggies are thriving.

• NonaC

I like the idea! Wondering if you have a termite problem where you live;down here in Coastal Georgia you would not want to have the dirt directly against your house. The covering could be clear plastic during the early spring when you're just getting the garden going (like a greenhouse) then change it to netting as the garden gets larger to keep out the pests!

• Irma | mycreativekneads

Hi, we don’t have any termite problems, thank God and the bed is actually not against my house. We used the clear plastic during our cold weather season but we currently have it open. Thank you.

• Babs Donovan

We have a cat, and he gets one once in a while. I have been heavily suggesting some sort of terrier would be good for the job as they were originally bred to catch vermin. Anyway, I think you did a great job on your raised planters. I Especially like that you used an drip system. My daughter has a similar corner and I will share your post with her.

• Becky Hammond

This is a tried and true remedy for cats getting into your garden bed: Spray the perimeter of the box with old perfume. Works every time!

• Irina

I was wondering if these flowers would grow in PNW area https://backyardfundesign.com/

• Joanne

I think most of those flowers would grow in PNW