Asked 6 days ago

How to make faux wood floor shine?

Lindsay AratariMaura WhiteMorgan McBride
+9

I'm a renter, plan to be here long-term. The faux wood floors (maybe like tile flooring material?) just don't shine! I've tried several products.

Suggestions? Thank you.

• Joyce Montelbano

I used mop and glo and it shines

• It depends on what the flooring is made of. The best way to clean vinyl floors is to use vinegar and water. If they are tile, mop with ammonia and water.

• KimMacP

Some faux wood finishes or laminates are a mat finish or meant to appear natural..no shine or gloss as compared to a table top.

Is it a plank style? dark or light natural wood (shade of brown) look or a colored stain version?

Maybe check around wall edges or closets..is there any 'shine' evident on any of the 'low traffic' areas of this flooring?

If not, I would suggest it is indeed an intentional manufactured mat finish.

• Hi there. If they are wood tiles, they probably won't shine much due to the finish. A shiny tile could be slick. Also the wooden tiles I've seen are textured and have a more rustic look. If they are laminate or vinyl, they may just be worn. Either way I use warm water and vinegar on all my floor for their own best shine.

• Kathy Gunter Law

Have you tried Rejuvenate? It should do the trick.

• Cindy

Hi Micky. If the flooring is wood, you could wax it. The floor will shine, but it will also be very slick. Good luck Micky. Be well.

• Johnavallance82

Hello Micky,

Maybe it was never meant to shine. Shiny floors always show the dust and the scratches too. Best wishes. Maybe the addition of a nice eye catching rug would do the trick to take your eye instead of the floor.

• Morgan McBride

If it is laminate, it probably will not shine.

• Maura White

Do you know if it ever had a shiny surface that you are trying to restore? If not, then if may be just the way it is.

• Lindsay Aratari
    An hour ago

Try a couple drops of lemon essential oil mixed with water and olive oil