Reverse Canvas DIY Wall Art

$15

This reverse canvas DIY project is easy to do and makes for a great beginner project. Learn to create simple artwork for your home. These signs make great farmhouse signs for a fraction of the price.

Remove The Canvas

To begin this project, you will want to start by removing your canvas form the wood frame. Using a knife blade or an Xacto knife cut the canvas on the back side and remove. 

You can choose to remove the staples too by using a screw driver, and lifting them up and out.

Stain Your Wood Frames

After you have the canvas material removed, stain you wood frames. I used an old rag and dabbed the stain onto the wood and then wiped it away and into the frames. This method will allow the stain to dry fairly quickly without having that tacky feeling to it. 

While you are waiting on the stain to dry, cut the vinyl wording. I put the words we used, “laugh, eat, and pray” in the Crafty Life Mom resource library. 

Create Heat Transfer Vinyl Lettering

After you have cut the vinyl wording, make sure you weed the negative and then press the words onto your canvas. Since these canvas pieces were larger in size 30X30, I designed the file to fit one word on a 12X12 mat size and then matched the wording together on the canvas. 

Iron on or use a heat press to press the HTV vinyl on to the canvas. 

Stapling the canvas back to the frame

After you have the HTV pressed, flip it over and attach to the back side of the wood frame with a staple gun. We started on one side and pulled it taught to the other. Once it was stapled in place,

I worked my way around the frames making sure it was secure. Then the canvas were ready to be hung! 

Hang Up Your Reverse Canvas

Find a spot in your home and hang the canvas with a picture hanging kit and enjoy your creation!

Layne Dasher

• Barbara Graf

Where can I get the iron’s words

• Layne Dasher

Hi Barbara! I can list these in my shop and ship them or I can list the few if you would like to cut your own. You can email me at layne@craftylifemom.com thanks!

• Annette

Given the fact that I see no canvas on the sides of the frame, I assume you trimmed the canvas to meet the edge of the frame?

• Layne Dasher

Yes this is correct!!! If you have over hang you can trim it. I did staple it to the back.

• Jo Falasca

What does “weed the negative “ mean?

• Layne Dasher

Hi Susan, this means to remove the vinyl part that your don't want. The part that is not the letter. Using a tool (similar to a dental looking hook) you pick away the vinyl negative leaving away only the word itself. The term "weeding the vinyl" is usually how it is referenced.

• Sue rembleski

Our local library has a machine to cut letters/words out we are in Dakota city. They probably all have them now

• Layne Dasher

Oh awesome! This project was done with heat transfer vinyl the irons in the canvas!