Asked on Jun 9, 2020

Repair the underside of a chair and couch?

Ted ThorntonMarionSharon
+16

Our dog, when she was a puppy, made holes in the bottom of my couch and chair, and actually uses them to hide inside of. What material is best to recover the underside of the two furniture pieces?

William

The fabric is a polyester woven material called Cambric. It's a dust cover and allows for air circulation so the wood doesn't dry out

https://www.amazon.com/Sofa-Chair-Dust-Cover-Replacement/dp/B06ZYRYC8K

• Unique Creations By Anita
    Unique Creations By Anita

I use black weed mat for all the furniture that i make.

• Redcatcec
    Redcatcec

This fabric is polyester or polypropylene and is used for the underside of furniture, it keeps out the dust and dirt. You can find this at Joann's and of course on Amazon. Just staple it into place.

• K. Rupp
    K. Rupp

Its a black dust cover. You can get it at Walmart in the upholstery section which is cheaper than Joannes. I have a picture of it in my post....

https://karupp-did.net/bench-part-3/

scroll to the bottom...."upholstery dust cover Fabric". I applied it to the bottom of that bench so you can see how I applied it. You will need a staple gun. Good luck!

• Check at a fabric store in the upholstery section. It's called Cambric.

• Recreated Designs
    Recreated Designs

Hi Marion, depending on whether the fabric will be seen or not, there are many choices. You can use something inexpensive like a tight weave burlap if it won't be seen or something like a muslin.

• FrugalFamilyTimes.com
    FrugalFamilyTimes.com

If it’s just the fabric on the underside that hides the springs and stuff - you can just pull the torn fabric off and have nothing. :)

• Em
    Em

I would recover. It the dog gets back under too dangerous and could get stuck. Cover with any type of thick cloth. Check material department for remnants (sale priced) at places like JoAnn fabrics and tear off the old and staple new on. Take measurements and allow enough to turn under a half inch of so on all sides.

• Janet
    Janet

Our cats did that to the underside of our box spring mattress. I took an old sheet and attached it with a staple gun. They never ripped that off.

• Debbie
      Debbie

Training your dog is the only long-term solution, OP.

I love my dog so much but it constantly did the things that irked me most. It would chew on things that it shouldn’t or jump up and down out of the blue. Whenever I put on the leash, it would pull on it. Whenever it was out of the house, it would continue digging on the ground - I wish I could tell what it was looking for down there. The same goes for all the nasty urine.

All the things it did left me feeling depressed as if I failed it monumentally.

But since I discovered Brain Training for Dogs and applied the system offered, it now behaves the way a beautiful dog I always expect of.

• Johnavallance82
    Johnavallance82

Hello Marion,

Hessian or Sacking might be an idea, or maybe an old sheet stapled to the frame. Good luck!

• Linda
    Linda

I used an old sheet. I folded it so it was two ply and used a staple gun to attach it to the borrom.

• Kmdreamer
    Kmdreamer

You need thin sheet like materials but I would wait till he can’t get under there anymore

• Sharon
    Sharon

Upholsters use a light weight black cotton which you can buy online or any upholstry fabric store. I used heavy black plastic and staple gun to repair the underside of my box springs my two kittens made a hole in.... and they never did make another hole.

• Marion
    Marion

Hey team....thanks for all the tips! The original material is a dark gray woven material but I couldn't find anything like it. Now that I have a tip for a sheet, I can check the thrift stores, or I can order the Cambria.

Be well, be safe and thanks again!

• Ted Thornton
    Ted Thornton
    Just now

Mobile home belly covering. Try a good hardware or mobile home supply store. Should sell in two or three different sizes.