Asked on Jun 18, 2020

HOW DO I PAINT OLD WICKER FURNITURE??

Johnavallance82Kim  |Exquisitely UnremarkableHomeroad
+13

I HAVE TWO OLD WHITE WICKER CHAIRS AND A LOVE SEAT I WOULD LOVE TO OVERHAUL IF POSSIBLE ANY IDEAS

• Wash your wicker with warm soap and water and a rag. When it's dry, spray paint it the color you want.

• Chloe Crabtree

You can paint them with a spray paint that is made for plastic and other surfaces.

• Vimarhonor

Hello. I’ve used spray paints very effectively on wicker furniture. I sometimes use an S hook hanging objects from the tree branch to help facilitate 360° spray painting. Spray paints have come along way they now have primer and paint formulations. There is an unlimited amount of colors and sheens to consider.

Rustoleum recommendations

PREPARE:

Always work in a well-ventilated area. Cover the floor and nearby items with a drop cloth. Lightly scuff any glossy surfaces and wipe clean with a lint-free cloth. Use Painter’s tape to hide any surfaces you don’t want to paint.

PAINT:

Using slow, back-and-forth motions, spray paint each item with several light coats of spray paint, making sure to overlap each stroke slightly. Apply 2-3 coats of spray paint, waiting a few minutes in between each coat.

FINISH:

Let spray paint dry for approximately 1 hour before handling.

Tip: Use of 2X Ultra Cover Primer in White provides better paint coverage and color.

• Morgan McBride

Spray paint!

• Janice

Clean the wicker well using a soft brush, be sure to let dry completely, then spray paint is the easiest and quickest way to get the job done. It might be worth investing a a cheapy paint sprayer from Harbor Freight.

• Peggy Burnette

Hi Joann, hope this information helps you paint your wicker furniture. Good luck.

Painting Wicker Furniture-Hints, Tips, & Solutions to Paint Like ...

www.wickerwoman.com › articles › painting-wicker

How-to Paint Wicker Furniture Like a Pro! Do you just love old wicker furniture and the romantic look it gives any room or decor? Do you own wicker pieces that ...

• Cindy

Hi Joann. Use a good enamel paint suitable for wicker furniture (most paint labels list the surfaces the product is suitable for). Hold the spray can 8" to 10" away from the furniture and spray back and forth for the most even coverage. Good luck Joann.

• FrugalFamilyTimes.com

I’ve used spray paint for wicker. It is so much easier than brushing into all those nooks and crannies.

• Kathy Gunter Law

Clean thoroughly. Pressure wash if there is any peeling paint. If not, you could clean and air dry with spray bottle and scrub brush.

Make sure you use spray paint that is formulated for wicker. Verify it is true wicker, not faux (plastic), as that will drive your formula decision.

Go with a fun color like teal or yellow.

• Debbie/Dragonfly Treasure

Spray paint is the easiest way to go for all those nooks

Hi Joann: I'd get a wide paint brush and wash them off with warm sudsy water, rinse and let dry. Maybe a day in the sun would do. Then, I'd use spray paint made for wicker. Spray about 6" away, using sweeping strokes and thin coats. You will have to do 2 or 3 coats, and let dry between coats. If you get closer, you run the risk of drips :( So, the first coat will look a bit cruddy, but the 2nd and 3rd coats will really make it look great :) Patience in the painting is the word! Good luck

• Homeroad

I would use a paint sprayer or spray paint on wicker furniture.

• I would use a good spray paint and then I would buy or make new cushions for the seats and add some pretty pillows to really fluff them up.

• Johnavallance82

Hello Joann,

Use Spray Paint as it will get into the parts you can see but not reach.