Asked on Jun 21, 2020

Almost perfectly round holes in subfloor any idea what pest?

Lynn SorrellHomeroadBetsy
+11

Installing carpet in new home. Had some evidence of dry wood termites so I hired a pest control company to spray. About a week later I noticed several almost perfectly round holes with some fresh wood shavings around them. Any idea what this could be? I haven’t seen any pictures that link it to termites directly but I guess that is a strong possibility.

• Cyndi Loo Dee Evans

Carpenter bees

• Cynthia H

When the exterminator came in, how did they treat the home? Did they drill the holes? Good luck and stay safe!

• Peggy Burnette

Hi Bill, hope this helps you get rid of the nasty wood eating pest. Powderpost beetles

Powderpost beetles are probably the most common wood boring beetle found in homes. They leave tiny, perfectly round exit holes, ranging from 1/32 to 1/4-inch in diameter.Oct 14, 2011

“Shot Holes” in Wood - Colonial Pest Control

www.colonialpest.com › shot-holes-in-wood

• Cindy

Hi Bill. I did a bit of reading on what could possibly be making those holes. I came to conclusion that I believe you have Lyctid Powderpost Beetles. They create holes that look just like the ones in your pictures. I hope this info helps you. Good luck Bill.

• Redcatcec

Very probably a Powderpost Beetle, you might want to have pest control companies come over and evaluate your damaged wood. Let them make the diagnosis to see what you are actually dealing with. The treatments I have seen require Borax, but I would want to be certain before attempting. Amazon has this product.

• Tom

If you already had a pest control company out, call them back, they may have missed something. The size of the hole, leans me toward carpenter bees.

• Jim

I appreciate all the responses. I will look into the powderpost beetle and carpenter bees

• FrugalFamilyTimes.com

In our area that would be carpenter wasps.

• Chloe Crabtree

Sounds like the powderpost beetle.

• Can you access the area underneath the floor to see what may be up? Perhaps there's a nest of some sort that could help you identify the culprits. Good luck!

• Dee

I think they are carpenter ants. They chew wood and spit it out.

Hi Bill: Looks like you have a case of the 'people done it' on your floor :) I'd check with the people who did the spraying and ask if they made the holes and, if so, what they plan to do about it. If nothing, then maybe small claims court would be in line. I'd pass that info on to them:) If they made the holes, they should have mentioned it to you before hand. If you don't want to hassle with them, if possible, I'd get some plywood to put over this floor to take care of the problem. I don't think that any bees did this, or you would see them flying around. Any fix, other than plywood, most likely wouldn't hold up. You don't have to get the thick stuff as the holes aren't that big, but I wouldn't go any thinner than 1/4 inch. Good luck

• Homeroad

I would guess carpenter ants or bees.

• Lynn Sorrell

POWDER POST BEETLES