Asked on Jun 25, 2020

Wondering about retrofit treads?

LouiseLifestyles HomesRobyn Garner
+5

They seem to fit my needs so wonder what experience any of you have had with them. I pulled up the carpet from my stairs longer ago than I should admit and planned to sand/stain/poly them myself. But I have pets and if I do that, I'll have to keep them off the stairs for hours each time I work on the job. I don't want to have to put the furries behind closed doors for such a long time so retrofit tread would solve that problem, plus would save me a real hassle. I've found some online that have good prices. I'd get unfinished ones that I need to sand/stain, etc., but that would be easy since they'd be on tables or saw horses. Then I'd have to have them installed. That would include some cutting. My current treads have a bullnose so that would have to be cut off since the new treads have one. The width of the new one is 2" too much but cutting off 2" would be easy. And a bit would have to be cut from the back. But for people with cutting skills, that would be simple.

Have any of you used these? If so, were you happy with the results or do you have good suggestions?

Just an example. I wouldn't get this one because that large brown area isn't pleasing.