How to Make an Easy DIY Rock Cactus

$5

A few years ago I made a super easy DIY rock cactus. It turned out really cute and best part—cost me nothing because I had all supplies already on hand.

I gathered my supplies

– 5-10 larger river rocks

– Green acrylic paint (2-3 different shades)

– Paint brushes

– White Sharpie paint marker

– Plant pot

– Handful of used plastic grocery sacks (not shown)

– Small river rock

Optional

– Faux pink flower(s)

– Hot glue gun

OR

– Pink acrylic paint and a faux flower in any color

I started by painting the rocks with two quick coats of the green paint (my toddler even got into the action). I decided to do three different cactus “plants” at the same time, so you might need to paint more or less rocks depending on how many plants you wanna make.

I did most of them in a solid color, but decided to paint stripes on a couple. I even got my kiddo involved.

Once the rocks were dry I laid them all out together and then started to divide them up into different DIY rock cactus “plants”.

I took my white sharpie pen and drew some cactus-like patterns on them. Stars and polka dots seemed to work best for me.

Once the white paint quickly dried, I took my pots and stuffed the bottoms with handfuls of plastic grocery bags.

This fills up the space and lets you get away with only using a handful of small river rock on the tops in each pot. It also keeps the cactus lightweight.

I began to layer the rocks into the pots until I was happy with their placement.

Then I painted a taped off section of the pot.

I decided that the simple single cactus needed a pink flower and that the both pots needed a paint dipped look, so I painted a two faux flowers that I found around the house pink and taped off the pots and painted them as well.

I repeated these steps on a couple other cactus pots....

And this is how they turned out.

What do you think? Will you give it a try? The results are super cute.

I have mine placed in my  home office nook, and they bring a pop of color to my day.

30 Address Signs That'll Make Your Neighbors Stop in Admiration
31 Tricks To Help You Fix The Wood In Your Home:
15 Clever Repurposing Ideas That Will Add Some Creativity to Your Home
22 Homemade Soaps You Can Give As Gifts All Year Round
Jazz Up Your Bathroom With These 30 Stylish Additions
21 Clever Wind Chimes You Can Make
21 Ways To Use Those Pickle Jars You've Been Saving
Get The Outdoor Space You've Always Dreamed Of With These DIY Ideas
31 Update Ideas To Make Your Kitchen Look Fabulous
3 Great Projects To Flip Your Cookie Sheet Pans
Audrey Kuether