What kind of weed is this ?

Adrienne Carrie Hubbard | Crafty Little GnomeVimarhonorKen Erickson
+16

Hi ! We have these fast growing and fast spreading weeds in our back yard . Once they start growing they are very hard to pull out because of their very long and thick tap root . The roots almost look like a carrot . The roots when cut , even have multiple rings like a tree. Fully grown the plant reaches a height of 1-2 ft , but the roots can grow at least twice as big as the plant . We have a large variety of wildlife in the yard and none of the animals will eat it or dig it up . Does anyone know what it is or anything about it ?

Looks unassuming, but look at the roots !!!

Here is another smaller one

And yet , another one !!!

• GrandmasHouseDIY

Hi there, I've been using an app on my phone called PlantSnap and it has done a really good job for me!

• Pamela

Thank you ! I don't know if I have enough room in my phone to install it , lol , but I will try !!!

• It may be plantain. It's also edible!

• Sgr20796720

Looks like pokeweed. Edible in early spring when very young, but turns poisonous with age. Develops panicles of dark bluish purple berries in the fall, also poisonous. Remember the late 60s song "Poke Salad Annie" by Tony Joe White?

• Ken Erickson

Take it to local nursery to get answer and treatment options.

• Vimarhonor

Additionally for the best local professional advice

I would highly suggest contacting your cooperative extension. These offices are manned by volunteer master gardeners on site there waiting to answer the communities questions that know your local situation quite well.

Master gardeners are required to volunteer back designated hours ( plus continuing education) each year to maintain MG certification -this community outreach and education is their goal.

If your office is closed....there Might be alternative online venues like Ask an Expert as well as emailing your local master gardeners extension office for their ID expertises or guidance.... in a non contact manner. Extension offices have the availability to mail off samples to the local university for diagnosis or identification.

• Vimarhonor

I am in central Virginia’s program, and they use Virginia Tech for identifying plant diseases , ID weeds ID insects or other problems the master gardeners on site cannot solve.

Not knowing the condition of the pandemic staging in your area I’m not sure the office is open staffed with MGs or a skeleton office crew....l. but very commonly they are looking at their emails and might be able to service it this way. Our extension also has a Facebook page where I’m seeing questions and plant problems posted. Knowing your local area situation and plants might have good results.

My plant identifier Ap was not much help. Im curious too.

• Download Plant Snap or another plant identifying app on your phone and it will tell you what it is!

• Pamela

I thought the same thing and tried it with just the leaf Platt of the plant , then with a single leaf ... No luck ... Thanks , though !!!!