Helpful advice again!?

BetsyLifestyles HomesJanice
+11

Ok working on my son's blanket and on one side has a pretty Large size shredded hole,but not through the bedding!!! I need to figure out how to mend it for him,but with bare minimum sewing pls!! What I've been doing since the hole blanket is pretty much detached from the bedding I been taking thick thread and tying little knots throughout the boarders & middle of the blanket kinda like what done with quilting!!! So since like I said on top side of this blanket has such a huge shredded hole. Was thinking take one of my son's old TOP sheet's and add it over the hole top side of his blanket.

So how should I properly do this project? I can hand sew alittle and comes out crappy,but it's ok if this project doesn't look the Greatest. Just as long as it stays in tack and fuctionable !!!

• Kathy Gunter Law

First, use a product called Fray Check. It's thin & watery but has a glue component. This will stop further fraying of the material. You could use iron on patches if they hole isn't larger than a patch but your sheet idea is neat. You might take 2 sheets and sew them together like a pillowcase, 3 sides. Then you could slip the blanket inside and either stitch or velcro close.

• Em

Cut out a heart or circle or square of material that matches in color from an old shirt, jeans what ever you have that is big enough to cover the hole PLUS enough to fold under to make a seam allowance 1/4 to 1/2". Tuck under the edge and lightly stitch so the raw edge will be underneath. Pin the piece to cover the hole and stitch over the hole. Add a few french knots to the edges or if the hole is larger stitch a few rows crossing or diagonal across the patch. All easy handstitching. You can also stitch around the hole before adding the patch to keep it from unraveling further.

• Janice

You can use a method called "applique" to cover the hole on the one side of the blanket. You can likely find an "iron-on" applique in a fabric store or make your own by cutting fabric into a shape you want and then applying it to the blanket using an a abric glue. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h7goSTA9MlU

• Lifestyles Homes

All great ideas, above.

One of my “tools” in my sewing box is “stitch witch” or fabric glue. It dries clear and will take being washed.

Hi Heather: One thing you can do is to make a patch larger than the hole out of whatever material you want, about 3 inches larger than the hole. Fold and hem it all around the edges. Then, get some flexible double sided iron on interfacing (it's sold by the yard, but you can buy less) and, following the directions, iron it to the patch you made. Then, remove the paper from the other side of the interfacing and iron the patch to the blanket, following the instructions. That should do it for you. Good luck