How do I get rid of my cat‘s scratching and peeing in my living room

AstridPattyDeb K
+15

My curtains are knotted , my furniture and rug are both ragged , no matter what I use for cleaning , she goes there and messes everything up. Any helpful ideas ? I’ve tried almost all available ... thanks!!

• Lifestyles Homes

Nature’s Miracle enzymes will eat the urine.

At this point in time, it may be deep in all your furnishings.

I would take the cat to the vet and see if she has a urinary tract infection or kidney problems.

I would also have her de-clawed or she becomes an outside cat.

This sounds like a several hundred $ of damage.

• Em

There are enzyme cleaners available on Amazon and Chewy. I totally agree with the vet check. I do NOT believe in declawing. Each claw is attached to a muscle so cats can extend when necessary. They have to CUT 10 muscles and it is painful for the cat. You can clip nails often to keep them less sharp. Also provide places TO scratch. I had a hug piece of tree stump very fat around (you do NOT want them to be able to topple) so the fatter the better and tall enough for them to extend upward and scratch. I put mine in a shaker basket top to catch the pieces they scratch off. Sweep up once a week. They love the natural bark. Mine sat in the corner of the living room and actually looked cool. Put catnip on the tree for starters to get them to understand THIS is where you scratch. Cover the ends of couch arms with colorful cotton throw rugs, so when kitty trys to scratch they pull them off, thus preserving your furniture. It is natural for cats to scratch, that is how their claws shed. So you need to provide them with an appropriate place to do so. The giant fat log did the trick for me.

• Pamela

First , most obvious question ... Do you have a scratching post for your cat ? If not that might help ....usually you should have 2 types vertical like a post and horizontal like a floor model ( I have one that is circular with a ball in a ring around it )

Second , if they have already peed in there make sure you use an enzyme cleaner ! That will " eat " the urine enzymes and leave no odor for your cat to smell .

• Cathy

Get an iron futon couch. They can't really scratch iron like wood. Also you can get wood touch up pencils and markers to make your furniture refreshed. Also, do not declaw-it is cruel- veterinarians I know agree on this. Just buy attractive inexpensive rug that you do not mind gets used by your pet and also curtains. Cats love to scratch cardboard too. Order her a nice cat condo to climb up and down. It is much more important that you enjoy a loving relationship with your furry family member rather than worry about the material things. If it bothers you that much, you could also designate a different room in your house where the door shuts that you put your nice furniture that is a pet free zone. But make sure your pets have run of the full house for their exercise and enjoyment.Your house can be a pet and people casual zone. Also what type of pet litter does she like it? How far is the litter box from the living room? Cats like a set routine and if you disrupt meal times and other things they do not like it. Hope this helps. Put your mind on something else as material things do not matter as much as having your loving pet and family. Now and in the end, its about the love and not material things!

• Maura White

Can you move her litter box to where she has been going? Is she an outdoor cat too? Depending on your living situation, you may want to consider letting her outside so she can scratch and go to the bathroom outdoors.

• Oliva

You can also rub oil of Rue, or crushed Rue leaves on your furniture to keep your cat away from it. Pots of citroenella, lemon grass, etc. placed near curtains should work the same way. Some people have sprayed a vinegar water mix at the cat to deter unwanted behaviors. If all else fails, you may have to decide between your possessions and your cat, as constantly repairing furniture and replacing curtains, rugs, etc. becomes prohibitively expensive.

Hi Astrid: Here is what I do for the smell: I have used a product called Odormute. Pet Supplies Plus used to carry it, but I'm not sure now. You can get it online. You need a product that will change the chemical properties of the urine, or an enzyme eater. Also, Odormute will clean the spot. I have used it for years and have not been disappointed. Even on cat pee stains that were over 16 years old under a carpet, through the padding, in a corner and onto the wooden floor. Never knew the cats were using that area:( AC takes care of a lot of smells. Also cleaned and whitened my son's baseball pants. The cats peed on them and I found out a year later (they were in a box) and the pants came out white and stink free. The stuff seems expensive, but you just use a little bit. It's environmentally safe, you can use it on your pet for skunk smells, and it's made in the USA! Doesn't get any better than that. Good luck with whatever you use.

For the tearing stuff up, you can make a mixture of 16 oz of water and a 1/2 of a bottle of Oil of Clove or Clove Oil, same thing, in a spray bottle. Mix it well and spray it around whatever your cat is tearing up. It smells nice, but tastes horrible. It's non-toxic, so it won't hurt anything or any one, unless you put it in your' pets mouth. It's toxic if they eat it, but if they smell it, they won't be hurt. You can buy the oil at any candy making store or your local grocery store may carry it. It comes in a bottle about 2 inches tall and only costs a couple of bucks. Once the pet licks it, they will give the area a wide berth when they smell it! Don't put it on your pet or in their mouths, it's toxic to them if they get more than a little lick. Good luck!

• Lauren of Mom Home Guide

You could try some of these ideas to get your cat to stop scratching your sofa or other furniture. Good luck!

• Lauren of Mom Home Guide

This post suggests covering surfaces you don't want your cat to scratch with materials it won't like, like aluminum foil. Hope it helps!

• Lauren of Mom Home Guide

You can read about some reasons why I cat might pee in the house instead of a litter box i n this helpful tutorial.

• Johnavallance82

Hello Astrid,

Scold her when she does it, but give her toys and Scratch posts etc. to occupy her.

• Spay if she isn’t already. She won’t ever stop if she’s not fixed

• Teresa

Is the litter box clean, some cats are picky like that If there are other cats, she may need her own litter box. If she hasn't been spade, get her fixed. Has she had a checkup recently. Possible uti? Otherwise, I find a good watergun helpful. Just make sure she gets squirted with it while she is about to do something bad or is in the act. Otherwise, she will just be confused.

• Cynthia H

When we had a cat, I kept a litter box at each level of the house, scooped daily and had scratching posts rubbed with catnip by our furniture. I found getting the odor out of the carpet was the easy part. It was the padding under the carpet that she smelled. Eventually, I removed our room carpets, disinfected and sealed the subfloor and put in new flooring . I did find removing sections of padding made it possible to clean both sides of the carpet and the subfloor eliminates the odor, before replacing sections of pad helped. Good luck and stay safe!

• Deb K
    2 hours ago

Hi Astrid, hope these help you out,

Use Cat Scratch Tape

This double-sided sticky tape comes in panels or rolls like regular tape, and can be stuck where you need it and removed easily afterward. Cats hate the feeling of stickiness on their paws, so it discourages scratching. Buy cat scratch tape now on Amazon.

https://petcentral.chewy.com/training-training-tips-8-ways-to-keep-your-cat-from-shredding-your-furniture/

https://pethelpful.com/cats/why-is-my-cat-peeing-in-the-house

• Patty
    An hour ago

My cat clawed my old sofa. I bought a new one in January and got her a scratching pole which she used to use....however, she now likes the cocomat doormat and I am fine with that. It is right outside my backdoor and she never ventures far but she sure scratches that mat! I am afraid if she peed in my house, she would be finding a new home. I love her BUT cat urine smells awful! Try the Clorox Urine out product, you can get it on amazon.

• Astrid
    25 minutes ago

Thanks to everyone for the answers ... I will start Using all the tips !

will keep you posted !

astrid