Asked on Aug 9, 2020

Help With Springtails Please?

Lin RAgnes ChrzanowskaSimple Nature Decor
+18

I posted back about 3 months ago asking to identify bugs we had in our home. They since have been found to be Springtails. Our pest control company has been here 8 times trying to rid us of these bugs! They treat the drains and outside and the window sills and also the drain trap that goes from our garden to our sinks. They are much less than they were but sill we see 6-10 a night around our sinks and showers and sometimes around the baseboard and window sill. We even had the pinestraw taken up from our garden and around out house and sprayed and then replaced with mulch. We can not see them in swarms outside and we don't have any standing water but we can't get rid of them. We have washed the windows with bleach daily and tried wiping counters, sinks, tubs, with vinegar and it did not help. I know there are many sites to Google but was hoping for first hand experience of someone that has had this issue. Any experience you had had with them would be appreciated. We are so tired of fighting them! Thank you!

• Mogie

This is a very good site that explains how you need to clean up also as well as spraying.

https://www.domyown.com/how-to-get-rid-of-springtails-a-274.html

• Here is a link with lots of information on what they are attracted to and how to get rid of them. Vinegar is one of them. Best of luck to you!

https://www.bugtech.com/springtails-tiny-bugs-that-scare-people-and-are-tough-to-control/

• Lin R

We tried washing windows and counters with vinegar and bleach(not together) with no luck! Thanks for your post. Pest control even put out a light for them but it did not seem to attract them at all.

• Deb K

Hello Lin, hope this video helps you out, may be worth an investment

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fwkBg8btx8Q

• Dee

Outdoor Control

• Because they only infrequently damage plants, there’s little reason to control springtails outdoors unless their numbers become a nuisance. The comprehensive Integrated Pest Management website at the University of California says outdoor use of pesticides aren’t effective against this pest and won’t provide long-term control by themselves.
    • To discourage the bugs in gardens and landscapes, remove their favored habitat, namely damp, organic matter. Compacted mulch protects colonies that thrive beneath it. Refrain from adding compost and other organic material to the soil until the pests have disappeared.
    • Allowing soils to dry completely before watering prevents them from getting established, sending them away in search of wetter territory. Reduce watering in vegetable or ornamental gardens that host springtails and allow soils to dry completely before watering.
    • Don’t expect to eliminate them entirely where moist conditions naturally persist. Frequent turning of straw mulches and compost heaps, disturbs eggs and exposes nymphs to drier surface conditions helping to keep their numbers down. But because of their size, many will escape.

• Lin R

Thank you for your reply Outdoor Control. We can't seem to find them outdoors. They are indoors and that is our problem. They get down to one or two a night and a few nights ago we had none so thought we had it taken care of finally, but had a few more last night.

• Redcatcec

These are really tiny bugs...1/16-1/18". Was thinking with all the failures you've had, how about trying-in the house- those sticky cardboard traps for mice, they work on fruit flies and gnats. You can get them at Walmart in a multi-pack. peel them open and lay them face up in strategic areas. Sorry, this is my best idea after you have exhausted so much time and energy into getting rid of them.

• Carrie @ Curly Crafty Mom

Here are some different treatment methods: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bNWdUfa4PYo

Hi Lin: I have never heard of these things! But, I have had a lot of luck spraying with Home Defense, inside and out. Spray your foundation and, if you have a basement, spray all around the walls and any place that you have a drain or pipe like the one going to your toilet or bath tub. This stuff kills for about 8 months, but I spray every 4 months and there is no smell, so no getting nauseous.

I just found this about them:

Spray vinegar directly on the springtails, and take a rag and spread the vinegar around infested areas. The high acidity content of vinegar can burn and kill springtails. Let this sit for some time. After using vinegar to help with the immediate issues, wash down the infested surfaces with detergent and water.

Good luck

• Cynthia H

I had another idea. Apparently, they are attracted to moisture and humidity. Dry things out, and they may move on. Do you have a dehumidifier? It would be worth a try. I have also read that most pesticides don't work on them. So diatomaceous earth might work with them. It works on ants, fleas and even roaches, so it might help get rid of them, too. Good luck and stay safe!

• Cynthia H

I actually apply diatomaceous earth around the baseboards in my house. Every bug that gets in, takes it back to their nest, and they kill their nest. For the first time this year, we had really tiny ants coming in at window sills. I wiped the sills down with Ant Fannie's Pest spray, applied diatomaceous earth, using a clean paint brush to brush it into every nook and cranny. I repeated the process for a few days, and no more problems. I get the spray on the Grove website, but, I have seen it on Amazon. Hope one or more of the many suggestions from everyone helps!

• Ken Erickson

Ugly little guy. What do they eat? Try to eliminate source of food.

• Lin R

They eat mold, etc. and that is why we removed our old pine straw around the house and garden and sprayed and then put down mulch. Our HOA just dumps the old straw onto the new and we found mold under there.

• Simple Nature Decor

Do yo check for an opening in attic or basement, that they are getting in.

• Agnes Chrzanowska

I am actually curious to find out myself .. will read through all comments ! Thank you for your question

• Lin R

We still have them and it is now September!! Pest Control came with a moisture meter to check all the walls and floors and did not find anything!