Upcycled Caddy With SUGRU

$8

I'm excited to bring you another SUGRU project! SUGRU is one of my favorite DIY "ingredients". I have done so many things with it, from making wreaths to fixing mirror frames, light fixtures, and even repairing my porch railing!

Step 1: Gather Materials

You'll need an old bundt cake pan and garden tool handle (cut to the length you want).

You'll also need SUGRU, in a color of your choice! I opted to use the natural brown. SUGRU comes in many colors, and depending on the color of paint you use for your pan, you may want to choose a SUGRU color to match.

Step 2: Paint (optional)

If you'd like to paint your pan to have a vintage look, I suggest using a few different colors. I started with some green spray paint that I had on had. Alternatively, you could skip the painting all together. If the inside of my pan had been in better condition, I would have only painted the outside, so that I could use this caddy for serving food, too.

My next layer of paint was blue chalk paint. I brushed it on messily, to go with my rustic look.

Step 3: Sand to Distress

I like a rustic, distressed look, so I lightly sanded the edges of my pan with a sanding pad.

Step 4: Antique

If you have chalk paint antiquing wax, you could use that here. I was out, so I just got a damp rag, dipped it into some brown paint, and lightly rubbed it onto the pan.

Step 5: Seal (optional)

I gave everything a coat of clear sealer.

Step 6: Get your SUGRU ready!!

SUGRU is a moldable glue. It is very flexible and easy to use, and feels like putty or clay. For this project, I used a few packets of brown.

I rolled my SUGRU into a "snake" (just like I used to do with Pay-Doh when I was a kid!).

Next, I placed the "snake" inside the hole of the pan, pressing it into the pan to hold it in place.

Step 7: Insert Handle

I pushed the handle through the pan. Here is what it looked like on the back side.

Step 8: Secure the SUGRU

I wanted to make sure that the SUGRU was nice and tight against both the pan and the handle, so I used a wooden skewer to push it firmly into place. You could also use a butter knife for this step.

Step 9: Clean Up

Some of the SUGRU may squish back up through the top. No worries - it is easy to clean up!

Just scrape it off with a knife or your fingernail, and wipe with a damp rag to smooth it out.

Step 10: Let Dry

This was the hardest part, because I was so excited about how cute this caddy looked, and I wanted to use it right away. However, you need to let the SUGRU dry for 24 hours. Before I stepped away, I double checked that my handle was sitting nice and straight. Once the SUGRU dries, it is very strong, and you won't be able to make alterations.

Step 11: Have Fun!

I decided to fill my caddy with little jars of water and Zinnias for the time being. But I also look forward to using it in my studio, to hold craft supplies! I think it would look great filled with succulents, too. If you don't have to paint the inside of your pan, you could also fill it with yummy treats!

Look at how strong it is! The jars filled with water are actually quite heavy, but the SUGRU is holding the handle in place so nicely!

I still have some SUGRU left over... stay tuned for my next project!

Thank you!

Thanks so much for reading through this tutorial. If you make a caddy, please share a photo. I would love to see it! Also, don't forget to follow me here on Hometalk, and also on my Instagram and Facebook pages. I love to post DIY projects that I think you will love, too. And if you do like this tutorial, please share -- I really appreciate it!

For more brilliant project ideas sign up to the  Sugru newsletter here and get a 10% discount when you buy any Sugru - enjoy!

Have fun making awesome stuff,

XO Jamey

Turn A Cake Pan Into A Shelf + More Clever Repurposing Ideas!
Valentine's Day Is Getting Closer! Get Ready With These Lovely Ideas
31 Brilliant Ways To Repurpose Everyday Items Into Perfect Organizers
21 Clever Wind Chimes You Can Make
30 Adorable DIY Ideas For July 4th
The Best Nautical Home Decor Ideas To Try Right Now
3 Fantastic Step-By-Step Ideas What To Do With Pallets!
16 Fun Ways You Can Use Food To Decorate Your Home
3 Gorgeous And Unique Ideas To Display Your Plants
Instantly Upgrade Your Living Space With These Amazing DIY Ideas
These Bathroom Makeovers Might Inspire You To Update Your Own
30 Jaw-Dropping Decorating Techniques You've Never Seen Before
Grab Some Pool Noodles And Copy These 3 Ideas

• Lori Hill Harrison

Brilliant idea!! Thank you.

• Patricia Thomas

Can you drill holes in the pan and use as a planter for real flowers? If you have painted the inside do you have to line it? Or I guess if you plan to use as a planter don't paint the inside. What else can be used as a handle?

• Nancy

I like your idea of drilling drainage holes for plants.

I have also seen where bundt pans on an outdoor table have the umbrella coming up through the middle.

• Melody

Where do you the SUGRA? How long will the SUGRA last outside?

• @JagCagDesign

REgarding how long it will last outside - I don't have an exact answer, but it is waterproof. I think it should last a very long time.

• Sarge

I love this!

• Robin

Adorable caddy! And I’ve never heard of Sugru!! Seems like a game changer, for sure!! So many ideas, going to order some right now! Thanks for the info 😁