My tomatoe plant has white spots that turn into holes?

+13

What do I do about them and what are they?

q my tomatoe plant has white spots that turn into holes
  • Simple Nature Decor Simple Nature Decor on Aug 10, 2020

I had the same thing with mine and added some new soil and it really made them healthier

• Mo Mo on Aug 10, 2020

What did you do with the leaves that had the white holes? Did you cut them off? I think my leaves may have Powdery Mildew or Flea Beetle.

• Redcatcec Redcatcec on Aug 10, 2020

I am thinking a powdery mildew.

Here's methods on how to kill it:

https://dengarden.com/gardening/Organic-Methods-of-Exterminating-Powdery-Mildew

• It is probably a white fungus, here is how to eliminate it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vec4aABuSa4

• Mo Mo on Aug 10, 2020

I think there are tiny bugs eating it, hundreds of them. Not Powdery mildew or white fungi. Becuase they leave a hole. Any ideas on how to eliminate flea beetles?

• Betsy Betsy on Aug 10, 2020

Hey Mo: I think you have little bugs eating your plants leaves. Cut those leaves off and put them in a bag and throw them away. Then, spray your plants with a mix of 1 quart of water and 4 tablespoons of liquid dish soap. That should take care of those pesky little buggers.

• See 1 previous
    • Betsy Betsy on Aug 11, 2020

Well, I'd cut most of them off, enough to let your plants have access to the sun, wind and rain. Then, spray your plants really well.

• Vimarhonor Vimarhonor on Aug 11, 2020

Hello are there insects on the underside?

.......for the best local professional advice

I would highly suggest contacting your cooperative extension. These offices are manned by volunteer master gardeners on site there waiting to answer the communities questions that know your local situation quite well.

Master gardeners are required to volunteer back designated hours ( plus continuing education) each year to maintain MG certification -this community outreach and education is their goal.

If your office is closed....there Might be alternative online venues like Ask an Expert as well as emailing your local master gardeners extension office for their guidance.... in a non contact manner.

• Holly Lengner - Lost Mom Holly Lengner - Lost Mom on Aug 11, 2020

Read this post about white spots and holes on plants.

https://homeguides.sfgate.com/double-knock-out-roses-white-spots-holes-leaves-37006.html

• Try some Neem oil on your plants. It will not harm the tomatoes.

• Mo Mo on Aug 12, 2020

I actually turned Neem Powder into a Neem Spray, but added dishwashing liquid. Would it be harmful to the tomatoes?

• Deb K Deb K on Aug 12, 2020

Hi Mo, White spots on leaves should be distinguished from the white or light gray powder caused by Powdery Mildew. The white spots, which are symptomatic of the causes listed, appear as part of the leaf tissue. The white or light gray powder caused by Powdery Mildew is a fungus which covers the leaves superficially. Hope this helps you out!

• Michelle Leslie Michelle Leslie on Aug 13, 2020

Hi Mo, this might sound crazy but add banana peels and a little beer around the tomatoe plants. Dig a hole near or at the roots and drop in 2 banana peels & cover over. The plants will absorb the nutrients from the peels and the beer & the condition of the plants will GREATLY improve. It also helps keep the bugs away.

• Agnes Chrzanowska Agnes Chrzanowska on Aug 31, 2020

it is a sign of mildew