Turn an Old Chair Into a Bright New Chair Planter

$20

It’s always nice to breathe new life into an old piece of furniture, and this project does just that! I had an old chair lying around that was just begging for something bright and new, so I decided to turn it into a planter! This chair planter brings a lot of whimsy to my garden and is a beautiful focal point as well. It’s a simple project that anyone can do, and you don’t even need any heavy-duty tools to do it! Follow my step-by-step tutorial below to get started on your own chair planter today!

This video file cannot be played.(Error Code: 102630)

Tools and Materials

Tools and Materials:

• Wooden chair (a wooden chair with the cushion removed works best)
  • Paint (I used DIY Paint which is chalk, clay, and mineral-based, giving me good coverage with just one coat)
  • Paint brush
  • Metallic foils
  • Foil adhesive
  • Varnish
  • Chicken wire
  • Wire cutters
  • Stapler
  • Sheet moss
  • Spanish moss
  • Plants

Paint

Paint

My chair was already primed, so I didn’t have to wait long to get started painting! I gave it a full coat of teal paint. Lately, I’ve been going through a teal phase and I just can’t get enough of this gorgeous color! 

DIY Painted Chair

Once it had dried I went back in for a second coat. 

Apply Foil

Apply Adhesive

I poured a bit of foil adhesive onto a paper plate and thinned it out with a bit of water. Then I applied it to the chair where I wanted the foil to stick. Once I had applied the foil adhesive, I left it to dry for about an hour. You really want it to dry until it’s a nice tacky consistency, which is perfect for the foil to stick to. 

Apply Foil

I cut smaller pieces of foil, which made it a lot easier to handle it. When working with foil, it’s important to use the right kind of brush. The best brushes have stiff, plastic bristles. I use different sizes for different sized projects, but seeing as this project was quite detailed I decided to work with a toothbrush. I lay a piece of foil over the leaves and scrubbed with a toothbrush. It will only stick where there is adhesive, so don’t worry about it getting in places you don’t want it.

Add More Foil

Apply More Foil

Once I finished with the leaves, I switched to a pink foil for the flower petals. If there are spots that you want to add more foil, you can always go back and go over it again. 

DIY Foil Chair

Seal

Seal

Because this chair planter will be living outside, it’s super important to completely and properly seal it. I used a satin varnish made specifically for the exterior.

Add the Planter

Cut the Chicken Wire

I cut a section of chicken wire. The section I cut was a bit too big for my chair, but I’ll show you how I molded it to fit. Make sure to always use protective gloves, as the wire can be sharp where you cut it. 

Mold the Chicken Wire

I bent and molded the chicken wire to fit my chair. 

Staple

Once I had it as deep as I wanted it, I stapled it along the back of the chair. 

Cut

Then I cut off any excess and stapled the rest in place. 

Staple the Rest

Add Moss and a Plant

Add Sheet Moss

In order to hold the dirt in, I lined the chicken wire with the sheet moss. I also grabbed some Spanish moss at the store and I’ll show you how I used it in a bit. 

Add a Plant

Then I added my flowers. I managed to find a plant that was just the right size for my chair planter. Of course, you can always mix and match the flowers or plants that you use, but I was super happy to be able to find a bunch of flowers that worked perfectly with my color scheme as well. 

DIY Chair Planter

Finally, I filled in the top with Spanish moss as a finishing touch.

Chair Planter

I just love the pop of color that this chair planter adds to my garden! How would you customize yours? Let me know in the comments below!

3 Weird Step-by-Step Ways to Decorate Your Plain Tea Towels
Add A Hint Of Farmhouse Style In Your Home With These Ideas
30 Great Mason Jar Ideas You Have To Try
Spring Cleaning Tricks for the Kitchen
15 Unique Father's Day Crafts
30 Address Signs That'll Make Your Neighbors Stop in Admiration
30 Jewelry Organizing Ideas That Are Better Than a Jewelry Box
Grab Some Pool Noodles And Copy These 3 Ideas
3 Ideas To Use Terracotta Pots You Definitely Haven't Seen Before
Here's How You Can DIY The Hottest Home Decor Trends of 2018
Easy DIY Remedies For Your 7 Most Hated Bugs
18 Beautiful Crafts For The 4th of July
Jennifer Weber Ferguson

• Jennifer Weber Ferguson

Thank you Joanie - I have been creating these for over 20 years and still enjoying making a new one - it looks lovely outside my studio door!!!

• Judy

Have done this for years with old chair. Just spray sealer on it and stuck a potted plant in torn seat and then a big punkin for fall!