Turn an Old Chair Into a Bright New Chair Planter

$20

It’s always nice to breathe new life into an old piece of furniture, and this project does just that! I had an old chair lying around that was just begging for something bright and new, so I decided to turn it into a planter! This chair planter brings a lot of whimsy to my garden and is a beautiful focal point as well. It’s a simple project that anyone can do, and you don’t even need any heavy-duty tools to do it! Follow my step-by-step tutorial below to get started on your own chair planter today!

Tools and Materials

Tools and Materials:

• Wooden chair (a wooden chair with the cushion removed works best)
  • Paint (I used DIY Paint which is chalk, clay, and mineral-based, giving me good coverage with just one coat)
  • Paint brush
  • Metallic foils
  • Foil adhesive
  • Varnish
  • Chicken wire
  • Wire cutters
  • Stapler
  • Sheet moss
  • Spanish moss
  • Plants
Paint
Paint

My chair was already primed, so I didn’t have to wait long to get started painting! I gave it a full coat of teal paint. Lately, I’ve been going through a teal phase and I just can’t get enough of this gorgeous color! 

DIY Painted Chair

Once it had dried I went back in for a second coat. 

Apply Adhesive
Apply Foil

I poured a bit of foil adhesive onto a paper plate and thinned it out with a bit of water. Then I applied it to the chair where I wanted the foil to stick. Once I had applied the foil adhesive, I left it to dry for about an hour. You really want it to dry until it’s a nice tacky consistency, which is perfect for the foil to stick to. 

Apply Foil

I cut smaller pieces of foil, which made it a lot easier to handle it. When working with foil, it’s important to use the right kind of brush. The best brushes have stiff, plastic bristles. I use different sizes for different sized projects, but seeing as this project was quite detailed I decided to work with a toothbrush. I lay a piece of foil over the leaves and scrubbed with a toothbrush. It will only stick where there is adhesive, so don’t worry about it getting in places you don’t want it.

Add More Foil

Apply More Foil

Once I finished with the leaves, I switched to a pink foil for the flower petals. If there are spots that you want to add more foil, you can always go back and go over it again. 

DIY Foil Chair

Seal
Seal

Because this chair planter will be living outside, it’s super important to completely and properly seal it. I used a satin varnish made specifically for the exterior.

Cut the Chicken Wire
Add the Planter

I cut a section of chicken wire. The section I cut was a bit too big for my chair, but I’ll show you how I molded it to fit. Make sure to always use protective gloves, as the wire can be sharp where you cut it. 

Mold the Chicken Wire

I bent and molded the chicken wire to fit my chair. 

Staple

Once I had it as deep as I wanted it, I stapled it along the back of the chair. 

Cut

Then I cut off any excess and stapled the rest in place. 

Staple the Rest

Add Sheet Moss
Add Moss and a Plant

In order to hold the dirt in, I lined the chicken wire with the sheet moss. I also grabbed some Spanish moss at the store and I’ll show you how I used it in a bit. 

Add a Plant

Then I added my flowers. I managed to find a plant that was just the right size for my chair planter. Of course, you can always mix and match the flowers or plants that you use, but I was super happy to be able to find a bunch of flowers that worked perfectly with my color scheme as well. 

DIY Chair Planter

Finally, I filled in the top with Spanish moss as a finishing touch.

Chair Planter

I just love the pop of color that this chair planter adds to my garden! How would you customize yours? Let me know in the comments below!

Try These Gorgeous Ideas And The Mailman Will Never Miss Your Mailbox!
15 Amazing Things You Can Do With Paint Stirrers
Use Your Old Corks For These 25 Clever Ideas
Jennifer Weber Ferguson

• Judy
    Judy

Have done this for years with old chair. Just spray sealer on it and stuck a potted plant in torn seat and then a big punkin for fall!

• Klb13779538
    Klb13779538

Thank you! I decided to try this with old iron/wicker chairs and it looks great!