Hymnal Page Candles

$0

These hymnal page candles are so easy to make! It will work with any type of book page, too. I think it would look really cool with a map, too. Maybe use a map from your favorite vacation place?

Anyway, let me show you how I made these hymnal page candles.

Watch out for the crazy fail during all of this!

All you need is a page from an old hymnal (or any book page you'd like to use), a battery-powered tealight candle, and a lighter.

When my mom was packing up her stuff last year before they moved, she came across an old hymnal in her box of books. We used to play with this hymnal when we were little and pretend we were using the songs for a choir concert. Those were the days!

Step 1

I tore a page out of the hymnal and wrapped it around the tealight to see if it fit. It was just right, but there was only a slight bit of overlap so I had to tape the edges together. If your page is too wide, just trim it down to size.

Step 2

I wrapped the hymnal page around the candle and taped the edges together. This is the back side, so you're not going to see the tape. The tealight candle will fit right inside and hold up the paper, so you don't need to glue it to the paper unless you want to.

Step 3

The next thing I did was burn the top end of the paper because I love that old rustic look.

Here’s where the fail comes.

I burned the paper that was already taped together first. BIG mistake. That thing flamed up quickly and I could barely put the flame out! Then I had ashes all over my sink and kitchen counter. Learn from me and don’t do that. (At least I was smart enough to hold it over the sink, though!)

The best way to burn the edges of your paper is to keep the paper straight and not folded. This works so much better and you can control the flame more.

Step 4

After the page had burned down to the length I wanted, I wrapped it around the tealight candle and taped the edges together. Then I placed them on the candle holders.

(You can see how I made the candle holders here.)

They look so pretty lit up at night, too!

Use Your Old Corks For These 25 Clever Ideas
25 Decor Ideas That Will Add Some Spring to Your Home
Super Cool Painting Techniques You've Probably Never Seen!
30 Ideas To Make Your Office Look Great
20 Ways To Incorporate Mosaics Into Your Home
31 Update Ideas To Make Your Kitchen Look Fabulous
3 Wonderful Ways You Can Upcycle Old Windows
20 Easy Projects To Help You Get Ready For Easter
16 Floating Shelves That Will Stun Guests
Michelle

• Ellen Morrison Kelley

I love the candle holders and the tea light treatment. And I laughed out loud at the portrait of the pig hanging over the fireplace.

• Jenny

Why not photocopy the page you want to use?