How to Age Terra Cotta Pots

$20

Have you ever wanted something to look old when it's actually new? I used to do this all the time when I was in highschool. I would rip up my brand new jeans in order to give them that worn look. Well, today I want to share an easy DIY project. Aging terra cotta pots. These are so much fun and they truly are SUPER easy!

Finished terra cotta pots

Don't they look great friends?

Get supplies together

Place some form of paper on the counter so you don't make a messy. I used a lawn bag from Home Depot.

Mix garden lime and water

I used 1 cup of garden lime and 3/4 cup of water. Stir well. The mixture will thicken as time goes by so feel free to add a little more water if needed.

Paint pots

Using the garden lime mixture, you are going to just paint the mixture onto the pots. I did two layers so I had a thick consistency.

Allow the pots to dry completely.

Let the pots sit for a couple of minutes until the are mostly dry.

Sand the pots

Once the pots have dried, you are going to use 120 grit sandpaper and sand down each pot. The more you sand them, the more the terra cotta color will come through. Also, keep in mind when you spray the matter sealer, it will pull in more terra cotta color.

After you have sanded the pots, take a clean paintbrush and dust off the pots.

Spray Matte Sealer

Spray each pot with matte sealer. I did 3 coats on these. It depends how worn you want them to look. Make them your own.

Allow pots to dry

Once the pots are dry you are ready to use them however you want. I use the larger ones to put my mums in on the front porch. The small ones are just for decoration.

I hope you enjoyed this DIY, isn't it super easy? Let me know if you try it.

15 Amazing Craft Projects That You Can Do Under 15 Minutes
These Clever Ideas Will Help You With Spring Cleaning
21 Clever Wind Chimes You Can Make
Storage Hacks That Will Instantly Declutter Your Kitchen
30 Address Signs That'll Make Your Neighbors Stop in Admiration
31 Ways To Keep Your Home Organized
Tracy Graham

1 comment
  • Lisa West
    Lisa West

They look nice. They will go with almost any decor in a home or business.