Asked on Sep 18, 2020

Should Tree Come Down?

Agnes ChrzanowskaLauren of Mom Home GuidePeggy Burnette
+19

I have an ash tree that has a large gash down it that seems to be growing. A tree service recommends that I take the tree down. Do you think it needs to be removed? The tree is close to the house and over two story tall.

• I would say yes, especially if a tree service recommends it. If you're not sure, get a second opinion.

• Vimarhonor

Hello. More evaluation of the tree symptoms and general health might be evaluated. There’s a link that might be helpful.

http://www.iowatreepests.com/eab_symptoms.html

Additionally for the best local professional advice

I would highly suggest contacting your cooperative extension. These offices are manned by volunteer master gardeners on site there waiting to answer the communities questions that know your local situation quite well.

Master gardeners are required to volunteer back designated hours ( plus continuing education) each year to maintain MG certification -this community outreach and education is their goal.

If your office is closed....there Might be alternative online venues like Ask an Expert as well as emailing your local master gardeners extension office for their

guidance.... in a non contact manner.

• Janice

Hi Lauren, I suggest you contact your County Extension Agent's office to see if they can provide you good advice and have an objective viewpoint.

• Redcatcec

Can't tell if there are dead branches and you don't say. This is a time to call in the experts for an objective opinion. Do you have any idea what is causing the cleft? How long has it been like this? It might be from lack of root development or a watering issue, maybe even disease. You need professional evaluation for this situation.

• Lauren of Mom Home Guide

Thanks for the advice. I haven't noticed any dead branches. In fact, I've been thinking of trimming the tree, since the branches are quite close to the house.

My mom had a tree like that and it split in half after a few years. If you know that it's damaged and it falls on your house, the insurance may not pay for the repairs. Get another opinion and then, if they say the same thing, go ahead and remove it. There may be people who would want the wood, and it won't go to waste if they do. Depends on what type of tree, of course. Good luck

• Mogie

Have you contacted your home insurance company and asked them. If you have been notified that the tree should come out they could cancel your coverage. That depends on the company of course.

• Kathy Gunter Law

I would watch it carefully. If it is dead, that would be very dangerous.

• Johnavallance82

Hello there,

I would call in another Tree specialist for their opinion. Ask what has caused the problem and what they advise, and also what would happen if you left it alone!

• Cynthia H

Wr lost a tree from a lightening strike. Keep in mind the damage a tree can do if it falls on you, you home or your car. We were lucky because it missed our house. It would have crushed the back of our house if it had fallen the other way. Good luck and stay safe!

• FrugalFamilyTimes.com

Definitely take it down. You don’t want it to fall on your house!

• Cheryl A

We can't make that call for you whether to cut the tree down or not. I live on a wooded lot and I get 2-4 estimates before I have anything done to our trees. It is a safety issue if you feel the tree is unsafe. If an arborist told you it needs to come down I would listen because they like to save trees if possible.

• Jeremy Hoffpauir

If the arborists recommends to take it down, you should.

• Ken Erickson

Yes, get rid of it. IT will crash into your house during a storm. I have seen too many photos of crushed cars, houses, and people after a hurricane, blizzard, or other natural disasters. Maybe some of the wood can be sold and salvaged by a lumber mill. Ash is a desirable wood and expensive.

• Lauren of Mom Home Guide

A tree person came to my house today and said he can cut off this heavy limb that’s causing the trunk to split to save the tree. He also recommended taking some height off the tree and sealing the side where he makes the cut.

• Lauren of Mom Home Guide

I called another arborist to see if I can get a third opinion.

That's a good idea. Never hurts to get several opinions. Go with the one you think is the safest. I'm thinking take it down. I love trees, but if they are dangerous, and may harbour bugs, I'd remove it.

• Peggy Burnette

Hi Lauren, sorry about your tree. I would get another opinion from another tree service or two. Trees can do a lot of damage and we want you to be safe. Good luck

• Lauren of Mom Home Guide

I would take it down, but my husband wants to keep it. I hope to get another tree person out to confirm that it would be safe to keep it once removing the limb and trimming the height, etc. Thanks for the help!

• Agnes Chrzanowska

I would listen to professionals but if the tree is away from house I would leave it