How I Made Fall Pots for My Succulents Out of Pumpkins!

$20

I had these cute dinosaur planters for my succulents. They lived on my back porch for the summer months and they were happy. But now that the days are getting colder they can't stay outside anymore so I decided they needed a new home!

The dinosaur planters didn't really go with my Fall decor

I got two medium sized pumpkins. I went with white because I just prefer them.

I also decided to use a cheap little planter on the inside of the pumpkin so that it would be easier to transfer the pumpkin again come winter and I can avoid damaging the roots. I also think this will make it easier to prevent over watering as succulents don't like sitting in water and prefer well drained soil.

I used the plastic planter and a guide to trace a circle that I then cut out of the top of the pumpkin and picked out the seeds.

Then it was time to transfer these little babies.

I decided to group them together between the two pumpkins.

Once they were in there, I used some moss I got at a craft store as a filler so that you can't see the dirt.

I let the moss hang over the side.

And voila! a beautiful fall center piece!

I used the painted glass pottery jars from my earlier blog post, so faux greens and some baby pumpkins to create a dining room centerpiece for one of my pumpkins!

Throw some skeleton bones in the mix and you got yourself a spookified table setting just in time for October!

30 Address Signs That'll Make Your Neighbors Stop in Admiration
30 Fabulous Wreath Ideas That Will Make Your Neighbors Smile
30 Great Ideas For Every Pet Owner!
Turn A Cake Pan Into A Shelf + More Clever Repurposing Ideas!
25 Fun Things You'll Want to DIY Before the Spring Arrives
29 Ways To Get A Splash Of Blue In Your House

1 comment
  • Em
    Em

It is a cute result but when the pumpkins begin to rot you have to uproot the plants and repot them all over again. Wouldn't it be easier to use faux sedum for a display and leave the potted plants in the origninal (and I see some  vintage) planters.