How to cover a a middle line on a painted table?

Carrie @ Curly Crafty MomJohnavallance82Betsy
+9

I decided to paint an older Stained oak round taBle with chalk paint...but now I have a very noticeable line down the middle Of the top where you can add a leaf...it wasn’t visible while stained, but now it sticks out!! Does anyone have an idea how I can “hide” that line on a chalk painted top?

• Chloe Crabtree

You need to open up the table and paint the edges where the table opens up to accept a leaf. That should take care of it.

• GrandmasHouseDIY

Hi Peg I agree with Chloe painting the inside of the table where it separates might help. I would also look close at it and see if some sanding might make the gap more narrow and help it fit together tighter.

• Janice

I agree the edges where the table separates to add the leaf also needs to be painted. If you do have a leaf to add the surface and the edges of it need to be painted as well so you have a pleasing surface whehter the leaf is in place or not. Details!

• FrugalFamilyTimes.com

If all else fails you can hide it with a table runner. :)

• Recreated Designs

Hi Peg, I was about to suggest opening it up and painting the inside edges but I see that has been suggested :) What you are seeing is the original wood that is inside of the slat for adding a leaf to the table so painting those edges should solve the problem. Hope it helps.

• Vimarhonor

Hello. It might be suggested to try to hide the defect with a table arrangement or a runner unless you care to refinish the table again.

Using a filler like bondo and carefully sanding it smooth would be suggested if you care to repaint your furniture.

• Ken Erickson

I would try painting the matching edges.

• Dee

The only way you are going to make that area less noticeable is to open it and paint it. I would use primer, because it is raw wood, then paint. Let dry really well, and seal with an acrylic sealer not wax. You could use a pretty runner for all the different seasons, with maybe a nice candle in the middle or for Thanksgiving use a basket of small pumpkins and Christmas Pine cones

• Simple Nature Decor

Apply primer to that area and sand then apply chalk paint to even it out so it appears the same all over.

Hi Peg: The jury is in :) Open it up, sand the edges lightly, paint the inside where the leaf would go, do the same on the leaf and you should be good to go. Then, use a table runner if you don't like the way it looks :)

• Johnavallance82

Hello Peg,

If you can't hide it, Make a feature of it! Go across the table with a decoration that straddles the line, or stencil over a design that makes the line less obvious! Enjoy the journey!

• I would open it up and try and sand down the edges a bit, then try to paint as little as you can to blend it in. Otherwise, a table runner would be an alternative.