Diy Barn Door

$80

I’ve always wanted a barn door. Our house is more traditional, but I was determined to make it work!

This is the area the door will hang. The door won’t cover the entire area, but it also serves as an art piece!

Once I measured the height and width that I wanted the planks to be, I went to Home Depot to pick them out. These were the widest ones I could find. Two were just perfect, any more would have been too wide.

I just wanted a simple design, not your typical barn door style, more like a modern twist if you like!

The hardware I chose was 6’ wide, the perfect size for this area. I found it on Amazon for only $35. When it arrived one part of it was a different color, but I decided to spray it black instead of waiting to return and receive another one!

My husband attached the hardware, then measured where it would go on the wall.

Here, he’s adjusting the hardware

Now that it’s up I’m and happy with the height, it’s ready to be stained and whitewashed.

I used miniwax early American stain on both planks.

• I wanted to achieve a reclaimed wood look so I mixed one part water and one part latex white paint to make a wash. Using a cloth, I rubbed each plank a little section at a time, then blended in with a dry cloth. I love the outcome. My husband measured and added a plank on the top and bottom of the planks to keep them together. I stained and whitewashed the other side too as you can see it from the dining room.

It came out exactly how I imagined it would. I absolutely love it!

Here is the back side of the door. Wood planks were measured and added to keep it together.

Thanks for stopping by! I hope this has inspired you to create one of your own.

15 Genius Hacks to Keep Pests Away
25 Impressive Ways You Can Update Your Ikea Purchases!
15 Simple Projects Under 30 Min To Get You Ready For The Spring Season
15 Home Improvement DIY Ideas You'll Want To Copy This Month
Hometalk's Top 20 DIY Crafts For Kids
30 Different Ways to DIY an Adorable Snowman This Winter
16 Floating Shelves That Will Stun Guests

• Trixie Liebowitz
    Trixie Liebowitz

Very clever, I wouldn't have thought to put a barn door on that opening but it works and gives a great effect.

The ceiling is very interesting....is it actually a 3D texture or wallpaper maybe?

• Beachwood Place LLC
      Beachwood Place LLC

Thanks so much! It’s an effect. The builders hired some company to do it, it’s actually on the walls too! A bit of a pain to paint though!

• Lucy Boyette
    Lucy Boyette

Can you close it or is it just for looks? It doesn’t seem wide enough.

• Beachwood Place LLC
      Beachwood Place LLC

it could be a little wider, but the design would be off if I added one more plank, plus I wasn’t trying to block the opening, you see if I did add another, I couldn’t fully have the opening clear! Also it clears the light switches which is perfect! When open, it acts as a design element. Perfect for what I envisioned.

• John Pinola Jr
    John Pinola Jr
    7 hours ago

Hi...What type of board did you get from Home Depot? Is it pine?

I want to do something similar but never find boards like that at my Home Depot.

• Laura McCoy
    Laura McCoy

This is beautiful!!! I love it. You did a fantastic job!!

• Shan
    Shan

I am thrilled for you! Barn doors are the answer for those of us who missed out on pocket doors at the onset of design/build-out, and pockets are kinda difficult to install after. And barn sliders also save us from the dreaded “beaded curtain.” You obviously are skilled at projects that some of us might be hesitant to undertake, and this site means so much b/c of your shared knowledge. TY!