Asked on Nov 20, 2020

How to make my clothes soft again?

Lindsay AratariDeb KLauren of Mom Home Guide
+18

Hey y'all.!! I have a top loading wash machine. I use liquid Tide and Downy in the dispenser on top. However when I take clothes out of the dryer they feel kind of rough. How can I make them soft again? Thank-you.

• Homeroad
    Homeroad

Have you tried using softener dryer sheets? Also try throwing a dry towel into the dryer with your wet clothes, it helps dry the clothes a little faster and may fluff them.

• Johnavallance82
    Johnavallance82

Hello Sharon,

Try washing them again, without powder or detergent! The cloths maybe hanging on to the stuff. Best wishes.

• Michelle Leslie
    Michelle Leslie

Hi Sharon, here's a feel more things you can try t make your clothes soft again - https://earthfriendlytips.com/how-to-soften-clothes-without-dryer-sheets/

• Since I don't like the chemicals in dryer sheets, I use wool dryer balls in the dryer. Our clothes come out soft.

• Vimarhonor
    Vimarhonor

Hello. Sometimes hard water can cause such problems with laundry. I recently started using the woolen dryer balls instead of fabric softeners to see if that would help soften my laundered item.

https://www.water-rightgroup.com/resources/why-hard-water-ruins-laundry-how-to-fix/

• Kathy Gunter Law
    Kathy Gunter Law

You are probably over drying your clothes. I use the same combination you mentioned with one exception, I have dryer balls in my dryer. They are always very soft and static free. I would start with that step. You don't have to purchase the expensive $25 ones. I have purchased them for as little as $3 for 6 and they work as well as the others.

If you find they are still not soft enough for you, double check the amounts of detergent and softener you are using. Too much detergent can leave a residue that doesn't wash out so you may want to consider stripping your clothes. Also that you have sufficient softener. I don't have a dispenser and have to use the Downy ball (never make that mistake again). If it doesn't fully release and some of the softener isn't dispensed into the load, I can tell a difference in the softness.

• Redcatcec
    Redcatcec

The dryer sheets are loaded with chemicals that are no good for you, replace them with wool tennis balls. For static control, use aluminum foil, form it into a ball the size of a baseball, be sure no edges are sticking out, they will snag your clothes.

• Peggy Burnette
    Peggy Burnette

1. Hi Sharron, hope this helps you make your clothes soft. Use Soap Nuts. The chemicals in store-bought laundry detergent leave behind a residue on your clothes that make them feel stiff. ...
    2. Use a Homemade Laundry Detergent. ...
    3. Shake it Out. ...
    4. Use Wool Dryer Balls. ...
    5. Use Reusable Dryer Sheets. ...
    6. Use Aluminum Foil. ...
    7. Add Vinegar to the Rinse Cycle.

Jan 12, 2020

How to Soften Clothes Without Dryer Sheets - Earth Friendly ...

earthfriendlytips.com › how-to-soften-clothes-without-dry...

• Dee
    Dee

Hi Sharron: Rewash things like towels in baking soda no detergent. Then for the rinse cycle use plain white vinegar. You may have to do this a few times as dryer sheets and liquid build up and make your towels less water absorbent and stiff. You can use this method on all your clothes. Don't worry they will not smell like vinegar,

• Janice
    Janice

I add a cup of white viengar to the rinse cycle on my washing machine. It helps to rid the articles of excess buld up of chemicals and I feel it results in a softer outcome on those articles.

• All of the above are excellent suggestions! Here is what I use plus wool dryer balls. Use 1/2 the recommended detergent amount, add in baking soda with the detergent, 1/4 to 1 cup depending on size of load and how grimy the items might be. Instead of chemical filled fabric softener, I use white vinegar in the softener cup and if doing whites (even colors) that are filthy, I toss in about a cup or less of hydrogen peroxide and wash and rinse in cold water. (Remember hot water sets stains.) Then toss in the dryer with 2 to 6 wool dryer balls. Do not over dry! After a few loads you will find out exactly how long it takes to dry the items without overheating them which, over time, shortens the lifespan of the garments or items. Will take several washes to get your towels and clothes to get out all the excess detergent and chemicals. Once you feel the difference right out of the dryer, you will never go back. Also of note: I do all the laundry for a Dog daycare and boarding facility. We use white cotton towels, washcloths, O Cedar ProMist Max mops and you should see the mop heads! They can get literally black with dirt! (Semi rural location and the dogs are exercised and walked outdoors as well as indoors, we wash the kennel floors twice a day, etc.), and they all come out sparkling white even in cold water.

• Mogie
    Mogie

4 WAYS TO NATURALLY SOFTEN AND FRESHEN YOUR LAUNDRYhttps://cleanmama.com/4-ways-to-naturally-soften-and-freshen-your-laundry/

• Jeremy Hoffpauir
    Jeremy Hoffpauir

White Vinegar works best for me.

• Maura White
    Maura White

Sounds like White Vinegar is the winner!

Betsy

Hi Sharon: I've found that if you put in some 20 Mule Team Borax or a cup of white vinegar in the wash, it should help. Also, use fabric softener sheets. If you have, or can get, a water softener, that would help immensely. If your clothes are really on the stiff side, let them soak in the washing machine tub with some vinegar overnight. That should help get some of the stiffness out. Then wash as usual. Good luck

• Lauren of Mom Home Guide
    Lauren of Mom Home Guide

You could try adding some vinegar to your wash cycle.

• Lauren of Mom Home Guide
    Lauren of Mom Home Guide

This article says you can put a half cup in your fabric softener dispenser before running the washing machine.

• Deb K
    Deb K

Hi Sharon, you can soften up clothing and towels with white vinegar, hope this link helps you out,

https://www.thespruce.com/how-to-soften-towels-4769228

• Lindsay Aratari
    Lindsay Aratari

I use Young Living's laundry soap and it's so amazing and makes my clothes so soft and clean