Asked 7 days ago

How do I fix these lathe and plaster walls?

Holly Lengner - Lost MomGregory HamiltonCynthia H
+12

The problem exist in 1 corner of the kitchen and bathroom.Neither room has an exhaust fan in them.Moisture has been the issue.The house in Utah was built in 1919.

• Annie
    Annie

The first thing would be to make sure there is ventilation, otherwise you will keep having this happen. Fans or even opening windows in those room would be a help.

• Janice
    Janice

Here's a video that may be of help to you. There are other's online as well. Maria, but this one seemed the best one for your larger problem area.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qZojl5Gv8ZE

• GrandmasHouseDIY
    GrandmasHouseDIY

Once your ventilation issue has been taken care of I would strip those walls down and replace them with "wet area" sheet rock. If that's more than you would like to bite off and just want a fix to make it better in the mean time: I would scrape off everything that's loose and then use sheetrock mud to fill in, matching the look of the old plaster. And then paint with a paint specific for wet areas. Good luck!

William

I agree with GrandmasHouseDIY. Scrape off what is loose. Sand areas that are not smooth. Then use drywall compound to fill the areas. Sand that smooth when dry. Then use a good primer to seal the patching. Paint with a kitchen and bath paint.

• Mogie
    Mogie

If you have a window in that room just put a fan in the widow so it is blowing out. That way you can still use the bathroom until you get a fan installed.

In most places proper ventilation is something required by code.

You will need to check with your city or county planning and permitting department to find out code requirements regarding bathroom fans.

• Jeremy Hoffpauir
    Jeremy Hoffpauir

A small dehumidifier should be put in place first. I use this one and it works well: https://amzn.to/3lOK8ze

It's best to use sheetrock to repair the walls after removing the loose debris.

Hope this Helps! Jeremy - https://do-daddy.com

Betsy

Hi Maria: Scrape off everything that is loose and use a fan to dry out the area. You need air movement to keep the humidity down. Speaking of humidity, do you have a humidifier on your furnace? If so, it may be turned up too high. Check the setting on it for the proper temp and humidity setting. Mine is 20%, but I think they vary. My mom's house kept weeping in the corners, and we found out that the humidifier was turned up too high and that there was too much insulation in the ceiling. Once we fixed that, everything was fine. If you have something up against the walls that is keeping the air from moving, move it away. Use wallboard compound to repair the walls, prime and paint. If you can get fans to move the air, that would help a lot. Also, the Dollar Tree sells little humidity catchers, that are relatively small and work really well. Put a couple of those on the floor of the rooms. Also, if you can, leave the doors to the rooms open. Hope this helps.

• Ken Erickson
    Ken Erickson

Maybe invest in an exhaust fan, or any repairs you make will be compromised in the future. There are some paints that will limit moisture intrusion into the walls.

• Cynthia H
    Cynthia H

Hi! You'll want it to dry out completely and keep it dry, or the problem will continue. An exhaust fan would solve the issue, unless there's a leak. If you can't do that right now, a fan circulating the air is a short term solution. Good luck!

• Gregory Hamilton
    Gregory Hamilton

Well, it seems that you shoukd find out WHERE the moisture is coming from. Is it from something in the kitchen? Somethung behind the wall? If you fix that, you should eliminate your wet wall.

• Maria Casetta
      Maria Casetta
      26 minutes ago

Thank you Gregory, Located the leak. Unfortunately the repair created an open can of worms. Taking things 1 step at a time.

• Maria Casetta
      Maria Casetta
      19 minutes ago

Thank you Holly, His was the first video I watched.My plaster is crumbling and is a more intense and a larger problem /project than I first anticipated.If you see any videos that apply send me a link if you can. Thanks again for your reply.