DIY Lamp Makeover With Texture and Dimension - Anthropologie Inspired

$25

I wanted to flip my flea market lamps ($20 for the set) and create something fun and unique. I first attempted to create a symmetrical bubble type look by gluing on toy poppers. When that completely failed, I started brainstorming. Once I saw my tub of DAP lightweight spackle compound, an idea formed!

This particular spackle compound is perfect because there's silicone in it which gives it a squishy texture when dry and it doesn't chip off. It's also light weight so it didn't cause the lamps to weigh a ton.

I first spray painted the brass accent along the bottom with a fresh coat of brushed brass spray paint. Once completely dry, I used painters tape to cover it and protect it from the next process.

Here's the lamp before I started the makeover. I like the straight lines and brass detail. It wasn't a horrible lamp before, but definitely not my style and the shade was a mess.

Here's the first attempt to create texture and dimension. The poppers literally dropped off the lamp after I spray painted it and it dried. I think the paint compromised the glue - maybe a different type of glue would have worked, but I'm so glad it didn't because then I wouldn't have thought up the final technique.

I used a latex glove to apply the spackling compound, and my first attempt was too linear. So, I just scraped it off and then applied it at angles, sometimes using a bit more compound to create thicker smears. My oldest daughter noticed that the texture looked like feathers and I just loved that vision for it. The process was quick, and it dried over night. I didn’t use a complete tub of the compound for both lamps, but I supposed the amount you would need would depend on the space you’re covering. The compound is lightweight and doesn’t chip off because of the silicone in it. Once the compound was dry, I taped off the gold base and spray painted the rest of the lamp with white chalk spray paint. And with new white shades, these lamps look fantastic. I’m so glad I figured out a technique for this flea market flip, they turned out beautifully and one-of-a-kind.

I applied two coats of white chalk spray paint - making sure the first coat was dry before the final. Chalk spray paint can scratch off, so you could add a final clear coat if you wanted to protect the surface. I did not, because I wanted the flat chalky look of the spray paint and these lamps won't be in a child's room or played with.

The white drum shade is from WalMart.

Photos don't do these lamps justice, they are so beautiful in person.

Inspirational Ideas for Spring Flowers
Get The Outdoor Space You've Always Dreamed Of With These DIY Ideas
15 Decor Projects That Will Make Your Home Beautiful
30 Fabulous Wreath Ideas That Will Make Your Neighbors Smile
Amy Wadsworth

• Jennifer beats
    Jennifer beats

Can I do This on brass lamps?

• Baxter
      Baxter

Yes, I buy old but still safe lamps at thrift stores to redo and reuse. I usually spray metal lamps---a primer coat and then a good quality metal spray paint. If I want more dimension, then I use chalk paint and finish it with a spray coat of matte poly.

• Sharon Harrison
    Sharon Harrison

I do like the lamps but I LOVE the headboard!! Did you just attach a swag?

• Amy Wadsworth
      Amy Wadsworth

Thanks, Sharon! The fiddle leaf garland was added for a touch of fall - I did a video on how I painted the faux leaves! Super easy and fun.