How to Make Your Own Wooden Bed Base

4 materials
$25

Recently I was searching to find a good sturdy super king size base to fit a large mattress and still give secure comfort and durability and it wasn’t an easy process. Couldn’t find what I wanted so in the end thought it would be better to make my own!

how to make your own wooden bed base, Wood base planning
Wood base planning

I begin by measuring and working out what fixings will enable me to make it sturdy and east to assemble.

I choose these Hinges that screw the wood in place.

how to make your own wooden bed base, Plate bars to fix wood together
Plate bars to fix wood together

The top and bottom sections hold together well with the help of an electric powered drilled screws into the metal screw plates. The corners I use the L bracket with plenty of screws too.

how to make your own wooden bed base, Screwing the top and bottom with
Screwing the top and bottom with

I continue to place strong measures and cut to fit boards of chipboard across to make a secure base and slot into place.

how to make your own wooden bed base, Fixing the sections into place
Fixing the sections into place

Building the pieces of strut at various intervals to create me a strong platform and make sure it’s all going to be without dips!

It all begins to come together and I make sure I secure the top and its sturdy and thick enough for the mattress to sit on.

how to make your own wooden bed base, Adding the chipboard base
Adding the chipboard base

I leave a few inches depth from edges of bed to the chipboard in order to give a well for the bottom of the mattress and prevent sliding about too much.

Once it’s all secured into position I can put the mattress on top.

how to make your own wooden bed base, Chipboard base screwed into place
Chipboard base screwed into place

I’m now with a bespoke bed base that’s fit for a queen!

how to make your own wooden bed base, DIY Bed base
DIY Bed base
how to make your own wooden bed base
Wooden bed base

Questions on this post

Your question...

Comments

3 of 11 comments
Next