German Schmear Brick Backsplash

$150

When planning our kitchen & dining room renovation, I knew that this "German Schmear" style brick had to be incorporated somehow! I love that it can fit any style, adds warmth and texture to the room, and of course- can be DIY'ed.

Inspiration photo... isn't this kitchen's brick wall drool-worthy?!

Supplies & Tools

Supplies for this project:

• 4'x8' textured brick sheets from Home Depot (1/4" panels similar to plywood sheets- about 20 lbs. each)
  • Drywall compound
  • Plastic or rubber putty knife
  • Construction adhesive
  • Water-based polycrylic (optional)
  • Sanding blocks
  • 2" brad nails
  • Painters tape
  • Rag & a bit of water

Tools you will need:

• Jig saw
  • Brad nailer
  • Caulking gun (if using a tube of adhesive or sealing around countertops)
Kitchen: before

This is our newly renovated kitchen! We just left the backsplash to do ourselves and I fell in love with the idea of doing a whitewashed brick. It will add so much more warmth and dimension to an otherwise white and bright room.

My plan is to do not only the backsplash, but the whole exterior wall plus the small corner that comes around to the left side of the fridge.

Cuts

Measure and cut the brick pieces to fit your space.

I found it very helpful to put tape down along the line where I was cutting to keep a straight line as well as preventing slivers/chips coming off the sheet.

Hanging the brick

Hang the brick pieces with a bit of construction adhesive on the back as well as securing with brad nails on the corners and edges.

**It might be helpful to find where the studs are in your wall to hang the brick appropriately. Our walls have solid pieces of barn wood running across the entire wall, so there wasn't a need to find studs.

Taping

Tape off the walls and surroundings you don't want getting compound on and begin the schmear!

This video file cannot be played.(Error Code: 102630)
Schmear

This compound had the consistency of (and kind of smelled?) just like icing, so it felt just like icing a cake!

Depending on the look you want to achieve, put on more or less compound. The grout lines between the bricks should be covered for the most part, giving it a more realistic look.

This compound dries in 24 hours, so you will have plenty of time to go back and smooth out some spots. I found that the really thin layers started to dry after about 10 minutes, though.

Wipe

Using a damp cloth, wipe away some of the compound if you want to have some spots more exposed than others.

Mistakes...

As you can see, I accidentally cut this top piece 1 inch too short! Thankfully, the "schmear" covers up a lot and is very forgiving. I'm going to put some extra compound near the top to make that area more white, and no one will ever know!

Sand & seal

Once the compound is dry (about 24 hrs), sand down the rough spots with a sanding block.

Since this wall is being used as a backsplash, I needed to seal it to make it easy for wiping off splashes of food, grease, etc. This water based polycrylic worked great and will not yellow after time like an oil-based seal would. I'd recommend doing at least 2 coats if your brick is in a bathroom or kitchen.

Caulking

Caulking

Caulk along the edges that need to be sealed.

After

This is our kitchen with the brick wall all done!

And yes, my one light needs to be hung up again but I'm waiting for my husband to come home and do that. ;)

For more ideas and ongoing projects, follow along on Instagram and Facebook!

Insta: @farmhouse.ongunnshill

Facebook: Lauren Ann Design

~Lauren 

Get Ready For The Baseball Season With These Great Projects
23 Surprising Uses for Curtain Rings
31 Astounding Things You Didn't Know You Could Do With Contact Paper
30 Address Signs That'll Make Your Neighbors Stop in Admiration
Get The Party Started With These Perfect DIY Decor Ideas
31 Ways To Keep Your Home Organized

• Lisa Fauerbach
    Lisa Fauerbach

Absolutely gorgeous!

• Lynn Arnes Crist
    Lynn Arnes Crist

Question: what are the cons of doing the schmear while the panels are on the floor before or after cutting as opposed to doing the schmear on the the panels once up?

• Kristi
      Kristi

I like/love the brick panel idea here and once had some installed in lower wall sections of my kitchen. Since I anticipated wanting to change in future, or others even, I THOUGHT my guys would just nail them on, but also used the dreaded black adhesive. It destroys your drywall, either it tears it out or you can spend weeks trying to scrape/cut it out and repair walls. So we know ceramic tile is that way, but one can choose to only nail, mark studs ahead on floor, and the mudding will help disguise seams and little nails too. The sealant is necessary, as the "mud" washes right off otherwise and those panels do stain from dirt, grime and grease. AND I TOTALLY KNOW HOW YOU FEEL Lynn, as far more than just my shoulders are too bad, too sad they just can't carry out all the great ideas anymore. But, with extreme patience with yourself and tiny bit per day, ants and turtles can do amazing things while the world rushes around and runs off at the mouth. ;)

• Helen Vierstra Werner
    Helen Vierstra Werner

I love this idea and trying to picture this with medium oak cabinets and black granite. Your thoughts??

• Kimberly
    Kimberly

Just beautiful! I've seen this done in a laundry room as well! Really ups the impact of the room. And yes it looks farmhouse fab!

• Mary
    Mary
    18 hours ago

Love it. Wish I was that confident. M.