Updated Buffet

$0

My friend wanted to get rid of this buffet after buying new furniture for her dining room, and my son needed one for his house but he didn't like the finish on it, so I decided to change it.

It is really a nice heavy piece with two sliding doors and bamboo legs. She had painted it white wash to match her other furniture so now I had to repaint it. I wanted the top to be wood so I used Citistrip to peal off the paint.

But to my surprise, it was formica underneath the paint! So what now?

While I decided what to do to the top, I tackled the bottom.

I wanted some kind of design on the doors so that it wasn't so plain. I drew some angles using a ruler and a pencil.

I traced the lines with my hot glue gun. One line was not enough so I added a parallel one.

Now, I was ready to paint. I decided to paint it white and then age it.

After painting it white, I decided to create a "wood" look on the top with paint. So I sanded the formica with a course sand disc so that the paint could adhere. Then, I painted a base color with a goldish beige. I already had the paint.

Then, I found a dark reddish brown which I mixed with a little glaze and painted the top with a sponge so that it could create uneven lines and so that the base color could show.

The third step is to add black. You mix glaze with black unicorn spit for a deep effect.

Last step is to apply polyurethane to protect the paint and get a nice shine. After it dried, we brought the piece inside.

I liked how it looked but when I tried "aging" it, it looked awful. My son and my husband insisted on painting it blue.

The next day, I painted it bluish gray which I mixed with gray and blue.

So after two coats, I then added some copper on the raised areas and on the hardware and installed the hardware to finish it.

Here is a close up look of the metallic and the hardware.

He has not seen it yet but I hope he likes it.

20 Easy Projects To Help You Get Ready For Easter
3 Creative Eye Catching Rug Projects That No One Else Has!
These Amazing Vase Ideas Will Blow Your Guests Away!
Try These Gorgeous Ideas And The Mailman Will Never Miss Your Mailbox!
Make Your Kitchen Beautiful With These 15 Inexpensive Ideas
15 Unconventional Ways To Use A Tomato Cage
These Stunning Seating Ideas Will Blow You Away

• Ilene
    Ilene

Amazing transformation!

• Lynda
    Lynda

WOW!!! Talk about trash to treasure! You did an innovative treatment on this and successfully gave it a new life! Well done!