Dry Sink Upcycle
Nothing feels more dated to me than old pine furniture. May be blasphemous to some, but I'd rather paint it and bring it into this century -even though it ended up having a retro-colonial feel in the end! I loved this piece as soon as I saw it and wanted to give it a new life (and give my towel storage a new home!).
I think this piece was just under $40 to purchase, but since the purchase proceeds went to support Habitat for Humanity, I'm more than ok with that! It's kind of dated (ok, a lot dated) but the shape is interesting, there were no repairs needed and the thing was SOLID. I started by removing the doors, knobs and hinges and grabbed my trusty palm sander. Using 180 grit I knocked off some of the original finish on the flat surfaces, and then got into the crevices of the panels sandpapering by hand. I wiped down all the surfaces with a damp cloth TWICE... there was a lot of dust.
I used a brush to paint on a semi-gloss black Rustoleum latex paint. It took two coats to get an even finish. I then painted on a clear coat to seal it. My front porch is my refinishing station - so it's not the best for a super smooth finish, what with the bugs flying around and dust settling. But the finish came out smooth enough for me. Not perfect, but like in fashion, black hides a multitude of sins. :)
For the hinges and knobs: I wasn't interested in trying to find new hardware, the shape and feel of the originals was just hat I was looking for, albeit dull. I hit those with some fine sandpaper, sanding "with the grain" (if metal has a grain haha, basically just going the vertical length of the hinge and not across horizontally), just to scuff them up, take the tarnish off and brighten them up. I left a lot of the original tone to the edges and hinge section to give depth to the hardware. I gave them a solid wash with regular dish soap after sanding. I left the screws as is to give some contrast to the hinges.
I have been holding onto this lovely thick floral wrapping paper I found at TJ Maxx for several years, just waiting for a project it was worthy of! I measured out the rectangles of wrapping paper and carefully ModPodge'd the wrapping paper rectangles to the panels of the doors. I worked in small sections from top to bottom as to not bubble or wrinkle the paper. The pattern of the paper was rather forgiving anyway, a few wrinkles popped up, but no one (and I mean no one) is going to crouch down to inspect it in a hallway. And I'm cool with that. I hit the panels with another clear coat sealer, and let it cure outside for at least a day before I muscled it up the stairs to the hallway.
Published September 4th, 2017 7:32 PM
2 of 70 comments