Asked on Jan 22, 2021

Add some pizazz?

Kim  |Exquisitely UnremarkableShaunaAgnes Chrzanowska
+14

We had this pole carport built next to our house, suggestions on adding a little pizazz to it, just looks to plain. We really only use the 2 left parking spots. They are blacktopped, the 3rd one is in grassy area.

The right side faces the roadway, left side only about 2 ft from house, but plenty area on right side.

• FrugalFamilyTimes.com
    FrugalFamilyTimes.com

What about growing vines on the support poles?

• Janice
    Janice

Large pots at each support with brightly blooming plants, flowers, or vines would jazz it up a bit. Maybe add some lightweight "temporary" time lawn furniture in one of the "ports" to get some use since you're not using all the stalls for parking. Some hanging plants would be nice as well.

• Cheryl A
    Cheryl A

you could paint the wood poles or even cover them with faux wood to give them more of a beam look- you could set up a table and chairs in the area you don't use -

• Sharon
    Sharon

I like all of the above ideas, but I would also paint the underside of the roof a blue or red.... and then do the lower half the poles in that color and maybe stain the upper half or just poly.

• Mogie
    Mogie

Painter drop clothe would make nice curtains. If the curtains were on a sliding unit (like what curtains in the hospital look like they slide open and closed). That would allow you to close for privacy or open and just gather the curtain and secure at each post.

Lighting of course. Perhaps a combo of standard lighting with some rope lighting to accent and draw your eye up to the high ceiling.

Excellent place for some seating, a grill, a smoker, picnic table (have you seen the foldable ones?).

https://www.construct101.com/folding-picnic-table-plans/

• Carrie @ Curly Crafty Mom
    Carrie @ Curly Crafty Mom

I'd make the one unused area into a little sitting area perhaps with a bench and chairs? Maybe paint the wooden beams white and add a large pot with some colorful annuals in front of each beam.

Betsy

Hi Deana: How about putting up some of those bamboo roll-up curtains and make an outdoor living/eating space. Roll them up for the breeze, roll them down for privacy:) You can even put a small fire pit there for the cooler weather. You can even get some solar lights - I got some clear solar Christmas lights on sale after Christmas - for extra lighting. They give off a lot of light. Unless you have an outlet in the area, then you can have electric lighting. I have them on my patio, and in the summer evenings I like to sit out there and listen to the frogs, crickets and night birds.

• Flipturn
    Flipturn

Are you wanting ideas on how you can fix up the car port to be used as an outdoor living area (such as a patio area) or are you wanting ideas on what you can do to the carport itself to make the structure more attractive (and less functional looking)?

• Dee
    Dee

I think you should paint the underside of the tin roof. Use Rustoleum in whatever color you like. The area where the grass is would make a great patio. Put in a nice table and chairs, maybe a fire pit. Make drop cloth curtains to separate the area out. You have a lovely area to work with. Have fun.

• Annie
    Annie

A coat of paint on the posts, perhaps turn the grass area into a shades sitting area, divide it with some lattus.

• Redcatcec
    Redcatcec

Was thinking attaching a hook to each pole and hanging baskets of flowers with some that drape over the sides.

• Marion Nesbitt
    Marion Nesbitt

What strikes me is the height and skinniness of the supports. I'd put some lattice across the top to reduce the visual height and try to bulk up the poles underneath.

• Houzewize.com
    Houzewize.com

Looks like a great space you can do so much with. I would probably wrap the posts with pvc boards that look like wood in white to give them substance. Also, add white curtains, plants around the structure. Inside I would add conversation seating and table for gatherings. Good luck!

• Agnes Chrzanowska
    Agnes Chrzanowska

That would be a great idea !

• Shauna
    Shauna

I would find some cute pots and plant Ivy or Wisteria to vine up the 4 posts, the I would get some nice flat path pavers and lay those to make a nice floor. Add a fire pit to one side and set up some rocking chairs with cushions and cute throws,a couple of outdoor rugs and set up a cute table and wicker chairs with some throw pillows and you have a sitting space and eating space. Hang some pots of plants or strawberries and it could be really nice.

• I would plant something that flowers and climbs in pots near the posts, but something that grabs superficially so the wood doesn't get rotted. Then I would be tempted to add screening or curtains the grassy spot, to create a sweet seating area.