Mini Yarn Hats- Upcycled Toilet Paper Roll "Jersey Girl Knows Best"

$1

Upcycle your paper towel roll or toilet paper roll and left over yarn into a super cute mini winter hat! These mini hats can be used as decoration, garland, doll hats, gift tags or wine bottle toppers! Are you ready?! Let’s do this!

Minimal materials for this project- toilet paper roll, yarn and scissors! ✂️ That’s it!

Cut your paper towel or toilet paper roll into 1 inch pieces. I marked them off first with a pencil.

Time to cut!

Depending on the size of your mini hat rim, you can make 4 hats with a toilet paper roll or about 11 hats with a paper towel roll for this project!

We cut the yarn into 15 inch pieces. Depending on how tight you want the hat to be and the size of your yarn, the amount of pieces could vary. I used 36 pieces.

To make the cutting faster you can wrap around the yarn at 15 inches until you have the amount and then just cut them all together.

Now that’s get started on this hat! Fold the first piece in half as shown.

Pull it through the cut toilet paper roll as shown.

Now pull the two cut ends of the yarn through the looped end.

Pull tight and it will look like this. Now to do the rest. Just make sure to do this all the same way.

And like magic, you will end up with this!

Now gather up all the ends in a twist.

Keep twisting and you will push the twist up through the other end of the yarn covered toilet paper roll.

Just like this.

You could leave it like this, if you don’t want a Pom Pom top.

For a Pom Pom top, push the yarn all the way through and it will look like this.

Take another small piece of yarn, about 6 inches, and tie the top yarn pieces together 🧶

Do a double knot.

You can keep the Pom Pom loose like this or....

...or shorter like this!

To stuff the hat so it stays stiff, you can use a crumpled up tissue, a cotton ball or gather up the scrap yarn and make a Pom Pom to go inside ( no waste!)

I hope you enjoyed this project! You can make the rim smaller as pictured or thicker!

Here is a more neutral white hat on a 2-tier display on the kitchen counter!

These make great gift tags, garland, wine toppers, doll hats and so much more. Use different colors for different holidays!

Don’t forget to follow me on Instagram and subscribe to my channel on YouTube!

https://www.instagram.com/p/CLhYvRtLEq4/?igshid=125gvoezq8pp9

https://youtube.com/channel/UC4F_eqi9EO8HieQzJZuN2dg

30 Creative Painting Techniques & Ideas You MUST See
These Amazing Vase Ideas Will Blow Your Guests Away!
Do You Want to Update Your Antique Furniture?
30 Jaw-Dropping Decorating Techniques You've Never Seen Before
These Clever Ideas Will Help You With Spring Cleaning
22 Homemade Soaps You Can Give As Gifts All Year Round
Instantly Upgrade Your Living Space With These Amazing DIY Ideas

To see more: https://youtu.be/1bPoUK7Uhhw

• Mickey
    Mickey

How the heck y'all think of these things? I was like..OOKAAY!! What is this thing to be? Such a great idea n cute as can be. Thanks for sharing. UNBELIEVABLE!! 🥰

• Smooches
      Smooches

i was thinking the same thing, but this is too cute

• MARJORIE
    MARJORIE

Since I have over 100 tubes. what should I do with the rest?

• Joan Deal
      Joan Deal

I did this for small gifted friends with fier places or yard heaters. I dropped with paper and put a tie or ribbon to close. Looked like candy or toy🥴😋. Plus look cute in a basket ready to start a fire. They work great. They loved them and had no clue what when opening the box. The note inside said these are to warm your hearts🥴🤣😍

• Emmawilliams1
    Emmawilliams1

Just use paper towel rolls...cannot fathom toilet paper rolls????

• Victoria Hulse
    Victoria Hulse

Very cute diy decor idea.  May I say, the ideas and communication shared in the comments sections at the end of diy articles (like this one) are a "favorite part' for reading it in the first place. Love the bits of humor in them!

Anyway, hope everyone has a great day, and may you all have a repeat performance tomorrow. ✌

• Jersey Girl Knows Best
    Jersey Girl Knows Best

Thank you, I am so glad you like it! 😊 Me too! Enjoy your day!