Wood Hutch Refinish

$80
Advanced

I had a client want his antique hutch his Grama gave him a bit more modern but to still be used in his house! This was a very time Consuming job, but in the end it’s always worth it! I personally like keeping as much antique as possible while still bringing it to a modern vibe.

This is before

sanding this piece down took 11 hours of hard hard work. For bigger projects like these I hire out my sanding to a friend!

Sanding process

After it was sanded I used painters tape and construction paper to keep the wood from getting paint on it while

i painted the backing.

I used primer than painted 2 coats of behr paint

I stained the frame with minwax espresso and than a coat of ebony on top because this wood was not taking the darker look my client was wanting.

This was the door before stain, and after it had been sanded down.

After applying the stain.

I took off the hinges and sprayed them silver to match the new hardware I was putting on.

Final product :)

15 Cute Ways To Decorate Tin Cans Into Planters
29 Ways To Get A Splash Of Blue In Your House
31 Creative Ways To Fill Empty Wall Space
30 Fabulous Wreath Ideas That Will Make Your Neighbors Smile
31 Update Ideas To Make Your Kitchen Look Fabulous
The Best Nautical Home Decor Ideas To Try Right Now

• Tish
    Tish

I will say your multicolored construction paper made me giggle... 😂... but in all seriousness, since you said the wood wouldn’t take the color stain you initially wanted, have you tried a wood conditioner pre-stain treatment? There are several kinds out there that prep sanded wood to help it accept stain better to prevent the problem you had.

• Sophie’s mom
    Sophie’s mom

Why is the finish blotchy? Is that the look your client was going for?

• Ally | flop.or.not
      Ally | flop.or.not

I’m not sure what you mean? It might just be the quality of the photo. It was client photo all I had to work with. The wood was also old, so once you apply stain you really notice wood imperfections.

• Lynne
    Lynne

beautiful job!! sometimes color is not the answer, and thanks for post.

• Mim14041277
    Mim14041277

I must say that I like the cabinet as it was...it had a beautiful finish. I would have put a wallpaper on the inside back...just saying!