How to Make an Easy DIY Crib Canopy

$40

Editor's Note: If you intend to try this project, please ensure that your crib is far enough away from the wall so that your baby cannot grab the curtains. Putting the crib too close to the curtains may create a choking hazard and can be dangerous. This canopy is intended to be decorative and not to be closed. Please craft carefully.

-- Hometalk Editor

________________________________

When I found out we were going to have a baby girl I wanted to go all out with her nursery, complete with lots of pink, a crystal chandelier, a canopy over the crib and lots of little girly touches. I didn't put up my daughter's canopy until she was about 10-11 months old but honestly she didn't even sleep in her room during that time (and here come fond memories rushing in of long nights with the bassinet by our bed 😊).

First things first, I needed something to hang the canopy from. I wanted my canopy to come down the wall instead of a hoop canopy that would hang straight overhead, so that my daughter would be less likely to mess with it. So I went on a search at a couple flea markets the summer before Brynlee was born and one of my main goals was to find a shelf or a fancy metal piece that the canopy could hang from. I got lucky and found the perfect decorative metal shelf for $15! Now that I had my shelf I could start making my canopy!

Canopy Supplies

-Decorative Shelf

-Spray Paint for shelf *optional (I used Rust-Oleum pink spray paint and Rust-oleum mirror effect)

- sheer curtains

- velcro- tiebacks*optional

-needle and thread

Since the shelf I found was black and didn't at all match the theme for my daughters room I experimented with spray painting Rust-Oleum pink spray paint and then spray painting Rust-Oleum mirror effect over the top. I loved how that turned out so I also spray painted an ornate iron frame that one of our tenants left behind with the same technique and displayed it underneath the shelf. I then purchased a wood B for Brynlee, painted that pink and put glitter on it, then put it inside of the frame. 

After I had finished hanging everything up, it was time to start on the curtains. First I measured the shelf. Then I measured the velcro to the same measurement as the shelf and cut it. Next I folded the sheer to that same measurement. Lastly I stuck the sticky side of the velcro to the sheer and sewed it altogether for added support. You don't have to be a master sewer to sew it together (I know I'm certainly not), it just has to be secure enough to not come apart.

After I had the sheers all sewed up it was time to secure them to the shelf. First I took the opposite side of velcro and stuck it to the inside of the shelf. Then I placed the sheer with the velcro onto the piece of velcro I had just stuck on the shelf. That's it. Pretty easy stuff. 

This is how the canopy looked after I finished assembling it.

I liked how the sheers looked draped on the crib but ultimately I wanted them off the crib and secured to the wall so I purchased some pretty crystal tiebacks.

After I had the tiebacks screwed to the wall I arranged the curtains to my liking. Here's the finished look. I absolutely love how the crib canopy turned out! It looks just as good with the crib converted to a toddler bed, which is how it is now. Although my daughter has been mentioning a big girl bed so stay tuned for when I switch it out to see how the canopy looks with a regular bed. To see tons more pictures check out my blog post here.

• Decorative shelf  (Flea Market)
  • Sheer curtains  (Amazon)
  • Velcro  (Amazon)

15 Unbelievable Ways People Paint Their Walls
Get The Party Started With These Perfect DIY Decor Ideas
30 Ideas To Make Your Office Look Great
15 Fun Things You Can Make Using Your Cricut
Instantly Upgrade Your Living Space With These Amazing DIY Ideas
21 Ways To Use Those Pickle Jars You've Been Saving
The Top 9 Kitchen Countertop Makeovers People Are Doing Now
Thrifty Artsy Girl

• Diane Holobaugh Mccauley
    Diane Holobaugh Mccauley

Why not just paint the canopy on the wall

and it will give the illusion of what you want!

• Terri
      Terri

Plus, some places don't let their tenants paint. Unfortunately, not everyone is a homeowner.

• Annette
    Annette

where did you obtain the shelf?

• Mary Ann Anaya
      Mary Ann Anaya

She stated in the beginning that she was going to several flea markets looking for proper shelf.

• Zana Weber
    Zana Weber

I'm more worried about the baby on the counter!!!

• Barbara
    Barbara

This is really beautiful, but SUPER dangerous!!!!

Please don't hang things over the crib that your children can reach or anything that could fall from the wall into the crib!!

• Barbara
      Barbara

I hear what you're saying, but there would still be the risk of strangulation.

I'm just saying safety first.

It's a beautiful idea, and I'm considering doing it myself. 💐

• Jennie Gleason
    Jennie Gleason